aluminum

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtruck

Reaction score
I am planning to build a single cylinder diesel engine.
I was wondering what aluminum I should use.
I have been trying to develop for some time. I finely got my 1916 South Bend (13X5) up and running. Still need more tools and accessories,(don't we all).
I will show pictures as I work on the engine.

6061 is probably the first choice for most applications. it has good strength and machining characteristics. so this should be fine for the cylinder crank case head piston etc. you may want to use a cast iron sleeve and rings.

7075 would be a good choice for the con rod. steel for the crank shaft etc.

I am assuming bar stock engine of large model to small practical size. As you have a 13" x 5 foot bed lathe.

if you are doing a casting just use something that was cast before like an old engine block.

and there is always USAF TO 1-1A-9 AEROSPACE METALS - GENERAL DATA AND USAGE FACTORS
Tin

As matter of interest, I cannot get 6061 any more. The supplier tells me that is has been replaced with 6082..

Johann: Interesting never heard of that alloy. Where in the world are you?
And please do not think I am challenging you just curious.
McMaster Carr does not mention this new alloy. but a quick Google search found this.

Aluminium alloy 6082 is a medium strength alloy with excellent corrosion resistance. It has the highest strength of the 6000 series alloys. Alloy 6082 is known as a structural alloy. In plate form, Aluminium alloy 6082 is the alloy most commonly used for machining. As a relatively new alloy, the higher strength of Aluminium alloy 6082 has seen it replace 6061 in many applications. The addition of a large amount of manganese controls the grain structure which in turn results in a stronger alloy.

In the T6 and T651 temper, Aluminium alloy 6082 machines well and produces tight coils of swarf when chip breakers are used.

From My experience and training

1000 series pure aluminum only good for making other alloys.

2400 high strength aircraft grade similar in strength to mild steel at 1/3 the weight.

3003 low cost general purpose sheet.
6000 series general stuctural grade
7075 marine grade similar to 2024 but better corrosion resistance

8000 series used for wire.

Tin

6082 is what was HE30 and is commonly specified for models in the UK. and will be fine for the crankcase, head, end covers etc

http://www.aircraftmaterials.com/data/aluminium/6082.html

The old HE15 now 2014 is stronger and best for the conrod.

Oldtruck I assume youy are talking of a compression ignition model aircraft type engine as opposed to a true diesel?

Last edited:
It would be so much easier if folks would indicate location. Oldtruck is in the US.

And easier if some spec were given so answers are not given on assumptions.

I love learning new things and all perspectives welcome .

Rant on: I am tired of guessing location and feel funny searching location by IP just to find location!! Rant off.

Tin

Tin I agree that location should be given as part of the profile pic or signature

You are correct location and some information about oneself would be nice.

I have updated it.

Thanks it helps us help you. Hope we answered you question.
While most of the information here is general in nature. it is easier to answer based on knowing what part of the globe one lives in.
Tin

Morning Guys, I am from South Africa. I am not home right now, but will scan the material spec that came with, and post it when I am back. (and I promise to update my profile LOL !)

Hi Gurus,

I have no idea what material specs I used for Webbie's con-ron. Bought extruded aluminium bars.
If Webbie's con-rod did not bend,I will stick to it. Meanwhile will run to the stockist to confirm.
Bet you,this guy will think I am crazy,most of his renovation customers don't bother.

This talk of the different grades of alu leads me to something I've tried to find out for some time, but have never found a satisfactory answer, what grades of alu are used for making hard disks?

I've melted down several hundred over the years, and it appears to be quite a fine grade, but lacks the soft feel of standard 6061 without being brittle. So far as I can tell, none of what I've melted has tested for any magnesium, and while I'm aware the composition used would have changed many times over the years no doubt, I'm curious as hell as to what's used?

cheers, Ian

Johann: Thanks for the update. Like I said curiosty. when someone sais in my part of the world X ,Y,Z is the norm I am curious where you are.

aarggh: good question something to research. My guess would be 2400 series but only a guess.

Another option for strong machinable aluminum is

High-Strength Multipurpose Aluminum (Alloy 6013)
Get the corrosion resistance and thermal conductivity of Alloy 6061 with improved strength, hardness, and machinability.

Often vendors have a selection cheat sheet in there catalog or web page that give a quick section guide.

like this one:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-aluminum-sheets/=nlq2ly

Also keep in mind different alloys are more suited to certain shapes and processes. so if you are buying sheet stock vs a cast bar vs a extruded round alloy selection may change.
Tin

Hi Tin Falcon, attached a snapshot of the test certificate that came with the 6082. Just as a matter of interest. I am sure that it will be fine for my use. I am busy with a basic Webster. My knowledge on non ferrous metals are limited, as my line of work is in the structural and material handling fields.

Sorry, problem to attach image.

ForumRunner_20130715_191952.jpg

Hi Tin Falcon, attached a snapshot of the test certificate that came with the 6082. Just as a matter of interest. I am sure that it will be fine for my use. I am busy with a basic Webster. My knowledge on non ferrous metals are limited, as my line of work is in the structural and material handling fields.

Hi Johann,

Material Handling.Are you into roller conveyor systems?? Done two non-contact lines to convey finished Ingersoll-Rand Compressor packages to Main Warehouse in 1995.Sub-contractor did the auto controls using relays and contactors.PLC was added on later but no time to activate.
Gus know nothing about conveyor lines. Was forced to volunteer.Took six months to come up with ideas,design and drawing. Conveyor took two months to complete.The "Interoll" master cataloque was a great help though I bought nothing from them.

About to complete and run Webster in a week or so.See my thread.I used Japanese Grade Extruded Aluminium Flat Bar to make con-rod. Running in
Webbie with drill did not bend Con-rod.Will see how it performed.

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gus,
No, not indoor conveyor systems. I work as a designer for a company that specializes in ultra fine coal benefication. Getting all the minute coal particals with a process of flotation and/or filter press out of the slime and water. This reduces the major environmental impact that the coal mines have on the ecology. (Mainly acid water). From the filter press we use conveyors to the different stockpiles. Also movable discharge conveyors under filers, running on rails to be positioned obove different receiving conveyors. Very interesting and challeging work. Did the first trial run on my new mill yesterday, so will start shortley with the valve boxes and other milling work on my Webster. Completed piston with rings, barrel and cylinder head.
Regards

Hi Gus,
No, not indoor conveyor systems. I work as a designer for a company that specializes in ultra fine coal benefication. Getting all the minute coal particals with a process of flotation and/or filter press out of the slime and water. This reduces the major environmental impact that the coal mines have on the ecology. (Mainly acid water). From the filter press we use conveyors to the different stockpiles. Also movable discharge conveyors under filers, running on rails to be positioned obove different receiving conveyors. Very interesting and challeging work. Did the first trial run on my new mill yesterday, so will start shortley with the valve boxes and other milling work on my Webster. Completed piston with rings, barrel and cylinder head.
Regards

Hi Johan,
Now putting in the rocker arm leaf spring. Fuel tank and support done.Should run engine next week.
Will post.

Latest posts

Back