Air compressor oil?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnbikes

Reaction score
Just picked up a 5hp 22 gallon China made air compressor. The guy got rid of it because it took forever to fill up. In fact the thing vibrated most of the fittings loose and that is why it takes so long.

Anyways I want to give it an oil change after I pull the head to check the valves. What oil do you guys use? I googled the question and there are more opinions then stars in the sky. Growing up my father always used non-detergent 30 weight but I see lots of new machines use Mobile 1 full synthetic.

Thanks in advance.
Jon

Hi,

I've used Mobil Rarus 427 compressor oil for years in numerous compressors with good luck. Look on e-bay for gallon size bottles as one source.

Brian

The big deal with compressor oil is whether or not you plan on spraying paint. With multi viscosity oil, there is silicone present. A certain amount of this oil always makes its way past the rings and contaminates the inside of your airlines. This will lead to silicone contamination in the paint being sprayed, causing "fisheyes", lack of adhesion, and other nasty issues.

Your dad was right. It's a piece of Chinese 1950 design, for heaven's sake. Don't overthink this.

Hydraulic oil works too. Or you can just go to the hardware store and buy compressor oil

Latest posts

Back