Air compressor engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More goodies

Joe dropped off the brackets that he made. My mill was just too small. The pair hold the camshaft tunnel between the cylinders. They also hold the ignition coil, distribuntion box and fuel tank.

DSCN3241s.jpg

DSCN3239s.jpg

I also modified the timing gear and finished the rocker arms.

DSCN3244s.jpg

DSCN3246.jpg

Thanks Alexandre! Hows the RC doing?

Hi Steve,

The RC are fine... In last weekend did a complete clean them. The BAJA has some problems and I must discover how to resolve... the engine starts, but shortly after it shuts down, even accelerating a bit. I think it may be lack of fuel, but of the adjustments as high and low are as say in the manual. It uses a Walbro carburetor, like this picture below...

walbro_zps95380cfd.jpg

Cheers,

Alexandre

Hi Steve,

The RC are fine... In last weekend did a complete clean them. The BAJA has some problems and I must discover how to resolve... the engine starts, but shortly after it shuts down, even accelerating a bit. I think it may be lack of fuel, but of the adjustments as high and low are as say in the manual. It uses a Walbro carburetor, like this picture below...

walbro_zps95380cfd.jpg

Cheers,

Alexandre
If I can give my 2 cents:hDe: you have a common problem with these carb.
you just cant get the thing to idle properly, it's to fast you fat it up a little bit....
it's to slow ... you lean it up a little. and you end out chassing your tail.

Set it to as close as possible (it will still stall anyway) then remove the card if you look where
Idle hole 1,2 and 3 are your butterfly it hitting dead on center with one of them.
the cure is pretty simple. Drill a .040 hole in the throtle plate or file a (v)grouve on the opposite side of your idle
hole. The main Idea is to have your plate between two holes and not in the middle of them.
I'm french and sometime my explanation sounds like chinese. If this is the case I will submit a drawing

cheers

Managed to get a little more done today.

Spring disks. All these do is keep the spring off the aluminum head and the collar keeps the spring center of the guide.

DSCN3248s.jpg

Spring retainers.

DSCN3250s.jpg

Lifter bushings. These will press into the cam tunnel and the lifters will ride up and down in them.

DSCN3252s.jpg

Idler wheel and shaft. The wheel gets a ball bearing on both sides and then it goes onto the shaft and held with an "E" clip

DSCN3258s.jpg

DSCN3255s.jpg

I drilled the boring looking timing gear to make it look better. It needed something.

DSCN3256s.jpg

I have the intake and exhaust mocked up. Tomorrow I will most likely solder the manifolds together.

DSCN3264s.jpg

DSCN3265s.jpg

I like the "industrial" look the copper fittings give the manifold. It fits with this being an ex-air compressor.

Pat

Steve,
looking at your work is like a sit-come to me, come back to my screen to get floored
with awsome work:bow::bow:

I like the "industrial" look the copper fittings give the manifold. It fits with this being an ex-air compressor.

Pat

Hello Pat!

That's exactly why I wanted to use the plumbing parts. I want it to look nice of course but I want to give a sense of backyard engineering. Does that make sense. I don't know how far that will go now that I am thinking about anodizing some parts.

Thanks CHP! More coming soon.

I have the intake and exhaust mocked up. Tomorrow I will most likely solder the manifolds together.

First of all: very nice build, Steamer! :D
Also, what kind of solder are you going to use? Phoscopper or lead (electronics solder)?

First of all: very nice build, Steamer! :D
Also, what kind of solder are you going to use? Phoscopper or lead (electronics solder)?

I'm not Steamer, that's the originator of the quote at the bottom of my posts. I am stevehuckss396

Steve Huck the SS 396 is from my old chevy. Alot of people get confused by that. I should change it.

My plan is to use Sil-flow silver solder. The melting point is up around 1000 degrees. I need to make sure it stays together with the exhaust temps. If my exhaust temp goes above 1000 i have bigger problems than melting solder.

I had to sell the old girl. I miss her.

SmallChevyRightFront2.jpg

I'm not Steamer, that's the originator of the quote at the bottom of my posts. I am stevehuckss396

Steve Huck the SS 396 is from my old chevy. Alot of people get confused by that. I should change it.

I'm all confuse now:confused: can you clarify this orange quote more

OOOOOOO NICE ride! I know how you feel I use to have a 68 Charger that I wish I still had.

I'm all confuse now:confused: can you clarify this orange quote more

Look at the top left corner of my post. I am stevehuckss396

I know that,:) that's the originator of the quote at the bottom of my posts. that the part that I dont understand:confused:

I must admit that occasionally I miss my 68 Cyclone
but that aside Steve I really like how your air compressor engine is taking off. Nice using the copper fittings for the intake and exhaust manifolds

Art

I know that,:) that's the originator of the quote at the bottom of my posts. that the part that I dont understand:confused:

The quote was

"Being a Master is about having Courage and confidence.
Courage to dream something and then....MAKE IT HAPPEN..."

Steamer was the person who said it in one of my posts. I put his name at the bottom of the quote to credit him for having said it. I have deleted the quote to end the confusion. As for Steamer, he may not at the bottom of my posts but he will live on in my heart.

Other than that, how you doing buddy?

Thanks for clarifying this. I personally think that the quote was the best description of what you are
and should keep it there, after all "you are a master" you had the courage to dream of an air compressor
turning into an IC and now you have the confidence to make it happen:)

I really love your Hot Rod picture, beeing a Grand Master Certified Technician at GM nothing else to
say that when I eat Alphabet cerial I remove every letter but GM:D

Beside this life is beeing pretty good for me only the temp swing from -30 to +9 in 24hr is hard to take
I'm on my final drawing of the electronic parts for my next build then chip will start flying

thanks for all those nice pictures, have a good one

The manifolds are done.

Anybody know how to clean up a solder joint? The silver solder has left a black scale on the tubing and fittings. If there is no way I'll sand blast and paint them flat black.

I really love your Hot Rod picture, beeing a Grand Master Certified Technician at GM

She had a Dart block and heads. All the best goodies inside and a 871 from BDS.

These are dyno sheets not a guess

94 octane and 7-1/2 Lbs boost 800 Hp
106 octane 10-1/2 Lb boost 1024 Hp
106 octane boost and nitrous 1223 Hp 990 FtLbs

I know the kids are doing way better with modern tech but that aint bad for an old school BBC.

Latest posts

Back