Advice on Reaching out for employment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kel
You have two things going for you.
One: the passion that everyone has already mentioned, (which may or may not temper once you are working for someone else, but you're aware of that).
Second: Very few machinists. Schools don't teach machine shop anymore. I have seen programs on TV about midwest manufacturers having trouble even finding candidates to train! Kids don't want to get dirty these days. They all want to be keyboard jockeys.

Kel,

All the more satisfying to do it using a newly acquired skill.

Hope your visit goes well.

Mike

How's the old saying go?

"Perseverance is Everything"

Well, today I helped support that phrase. It has been a little over a year since my first visit, and I have been back a few times since.

Here is there website
http://www.innovativesolutions-llc.com/About Us.htm

Just last week I brought in my resume, and I also included a set of plans for my Tiny Inline 4, as it is indeed relevant for the type of work involved.

I was told that perhaps in a few months they might have something for me, but today I got the call I have been waiting a long time for, and now tomorrow I will be going in to talk, and write up a temporary contract.

I am very excited, and also very nervous. I am not sure what to expect, but it sounds like I will be working on manual machines, helping them in a busy time. If all goes good, and I prove myself to to them, a more permanent job might be in my future.

I would like to thank everyone for your support, and words of encouragement, it really means a lot. What I learned on this website is priceless, and without a doubt has got me to where I am now.

Now with this incredible opportunity, I just might be able to change my status from amateur to professional.

Thank you all,

Kelly Kubischta

Congratulations Kelly!

They'd be fools not to snap you up. I know they will be very impressed.

Have fun!

Excellent news Kelly!!!
Congratulations and best of luck tomorrow!!!!

Andrew

Congratulations, Kel. I'd guess you gotta be excited! Hope it turns out to be everything you hoped for.

Chuck

Thanks guys,

Less than an hour and I will be there. The butterflies are getting restless.

Kel

I hope you do well, sounds like you are a go get er. I hope they make you an offer you cant refuse.

Back in 1998 I put my resume online and the phone calls did not stop for a long time, I got calls to work in Korea, the US Mint and other contractors building nuclear power plants. Some offered $10,000 a month and 3 months off every year.

Some times you have to decide if big money is worth more then you staying close to home and being happy.

I chose to stay close to home and dont regret it a bit, big bucks wont make me happy, I like to have family and friends close by.

best wishes Kelly, you will do whats right for you.

Great news Kel - congratulations!!

Very best of wishes in your new job.

Mike

Kel,

Nice one :bow: and GOOD LUCK ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks again guys!

Well, yesterday went well, very well. After taking with the guys about policies and whatnot I was immediately put to work with a hand grinder to de-bur some parts, and spent the rest of the afternoon doing that.

I showed up today and finished what I had left from yesterday, then I was given a blueprint of a part and was sent to the manual lathe and got to do exactly what I was hoping for. I worked on a couple different projects today, including guide bushings for a 400 ton press, which is shaping up to be a pretty impressive machine.

All in all, I am having a great time, and it sure beats working in the weather.
I feel quite lucky to have this opportunity, this is indeed a big risk on both sides, but I think I made the right decision.

Kel

Great news Kel!!! ;D

I know that you will fit right in and get down to doing the work!!!

Congratulations!!!

Andrew

Very cool using the advice from guys here and yer skills & model engines to get in the door. They're a lucky company to have you ! Thm:

Great going Kel
good luck ! :)
Pete

Kel,

Excellent news - best of luck in the new job!

I was very taken by your milled business card (on the previous page) and am going to ask a really dumb question, which will doubtless give all the senior members a laugh - how does the DRO allow you to do the diagonals and curved lines so smoothly? If I read correctly (which I might not have done) you said you'd milled the card manually - so I assumed that you meant the machine was not under cnc control. So, how the hell did you do it - or is it some secret destined to be kept forever from us mere mortals?

Regards Tom

Thanks a lot everyone, I have to say it is going better than I could have imagined. I was on a manual mill most of the day, and when the little blue light started blinking on the Fadal CNC machine, I would go over and reset the machine with a new set of parts.

tomfilery said:
So, how the hell did you do it - or is it some secret destined to be kept forever from us mere mortals?

Regards Tom

It is no secret, I actually made a write-up on the process in this forum.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=12720.0

Kel

Well done Kel,

Perseverance and tenacity has really paid off for you.

Now just get in there and show them that you are worth every penny they pay you.

Prove to them that paper qualifications are not the be all and end all of manual engineering.
OK, they are nice to have, but unless you have the ability to get it from your head to your fingertips, the qualifications are not worth the paper they are printed on.

You have that ability.

Good luck on your new dream venture, and I hope everything works out OK for you.

John

Latest posts

Back