About as simple as it gets

• Thread starter compound driver
  • Start date
Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

compound driver

Hi
Found these online during the week started the build to make a break from traction engines. Looks to be about a weeks work all in all.

http://www.geocities.com/minidampf/brazil_uk/contents.html

For a narrow gauge it looks nice and from the valve gear and cylinder drawings should run well. Il check out the valve timing and such but looks ok.

Cheers kevin

I had about 300ft of garden rail track to build my setup, plus a full range of locos and rolling stock (all electric), but it all had to be sold because I filled the space where it was going to go with my workshop.
It was a choice, either playing with trains or building engines, guess which won.

John

hello all, has anyone out there built any scale model log haulers? or for that matter how about any logging equipment models, shingle saw, saw mills,what have you?

Villiage Press sells plans for a donkey engine. A steam winch on a skid.I bought a set at Cabin fever.
I have seem models of saws and saw mills at the show.
Tin

The only plans I ever saw of a Lombard log hauler were in Model Railroader a while ago.

They were mainly used here in the east. Might check with some of the logging museums.

Bernd

Live Steam ran a artical about the time Bob Manard was comming out with the CLYSHAY. About mid 70's
no plans just a discription and pictures.

masive thing on tracks

this is great thank you! i'v always been intrigued by these machines,and its time to start thinking about building one.I'll post all i find, thanks again.

Dave,

Just keep searching. I found quite a few pictures of these log haulers.

If you look at them they are nothing more than a steam locomotive tank engine with skies on the front and a track like a bulldozer. I'm sure you could probably design your own. The pics I found would be insperation enough for me to just design my own and build one. It looks like they were different in some small way. So I don't think anybody would say yours would be wrong. :)

Bernd

There is a Steam Lombard being restored here in Maine, at the Leonards Mills Logging museum up near Bangor. See [url]http://www.leonardsmills.com/ [/url]

They guy leading the project, Bill Lynch, is building a model, although not a working model. He has made a rather good drawing of the machine, not really a plan, but a good general arrangement. He can be contacted through the Leonards Mills web site. I am fairly sure no complete drawings exist.

A very detailed web site of the restoration work is at http://www.umit.maine.edu/~herbert.crosby/lombard2/

There is a gasoline powered Lombard in the State Museum in Augusta Maine. Also anotehr Steamer at the Paton Lumber museum.

I have thought a lot about modeling a Lombard, but I have also thought about 10,000 other models. I did get to ride one a few years ago over in New Hampshire- Damn cold.

;D what a jackpot! between the patent drawings and website pics it shouldn't be to difficult to create some fairly workable drawings.theres some shots of a vertical boiler hauler thats very interesting! its great to see the shots of the various pcs. being restored that sure has answered several questions that i'v had regarding many parts.i'm not very close to any real machines but i now have a good start before i need to do any travelling.the first real machine i saw up close was the one at Clarks Trading Post many years ago and have been interested in these machines ever since, this is a great site with the best people. thanks for all your help.
Dave

Well then Dave, we expect drawings in a couple of weeks and in a few months we will be expecting a completed working model then, right? Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

Just kidding, glad we were able to help you get started and if you do, remember we like lot's of pictures.

Regards,
Bernd

WHEW! and i thought the day time job was all pressure! well, as things progress i'll make sure i keep things up to date.going to be a fun project thats for sure.

Hi Dave, I've never made plans for my sawmill but it was made from drawings in an old set of Audel's engineering books. It was a Russell sawmill. I am including the link to my Photobucket account so you can see what it looks like. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
gbritnell

SAWMILL1.jpg

SAWMILL5.jpg

SAWMILL6.jpg

now that's a nice sturdy looking mill sir.I've thought for a long time about building a scale sawyer massey mill,similar to the scale you'v chosen.The detail of your model is quite impressive to say the least! if there was some sawdust around it , it would be easy to think perhaps the sawyer had just left for lunch! lol.your pics will be very helpful and a great encouragement, once i finish the drawings and start building, thank you very much!

I took some cedar lumber and made up some pieces about 1x2x9 inches. It will cut through these with a fine feed. The rate of feed is variable by where you position the driven wheel against the drive plate. For reverse you just go to the other side of the drive plate. The blade is from a small table saw that I ground a little thinner so there wasn't as much load on it. I have a 1" scale Case traction engine so I built this saw mill to the same scale to display them together.
gbritnell

your lucky to live so close, i'm in the process of drawing up plans for a Lombard , with all the good pics and info in the parts books its a wonder more models havent been built. the patened office also has lots of info. There's a Pheonix not for from here thats running. I choose the Lombard tho, i liked the thought of a differential, i think its a nicer looking machine with the horizontal cylinders also. i'm thinking it will work out to about 1/7 scale and should allow for alot of standatd size materials. Live shots sure are great!! thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back