A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff,

They look just like mine.

Had the same drama with shrinkage on the deck area, oh well bit extra meat is good I guess, you can always melt the extra down and use it for something else.

This casting process is fairly easy hey.

My shed is nearly finished, sparky comes on Monday to wire it up, cant wait till I can get the ball rolling again.

Please keep the posts coming, I reckon there are quite a few people checking this thread out. (Including myself several times a day)

Cheers,

Baz.

Hi Baz
Looking at your Progress, once you have a block and sump your home and hosed. I love the Chev logo on your tappet covers.
By the way did you ever get that old Enco CNC up and running?
Pete

Admit it Pete, casting your own parts is almost as much fun as sex, leastways what us old guys remember about sex.

I do a fair amount of casting myself. Your work is looking good. If you continue to have shrinkage try using another feeder next to the area that shrinks. Also, with the big parts you have you can go with a slightly cooler temperature and maybe reduce the number of pin holes you are getting.

Looking great!th_wav

Pat

Hi Pat
Thanks Mate
Yes its great fun ant it :)
I got some porosity in the rear bulk head cos I started the funace before making up my mold and drasticly overcooked my metal ending up with the hydogen pin holes you saw in the bulkhead but I guess that is all part of the learning curve Im experencing right now.
That will not be the only mistake I make in this Build LOL
I was lucky all the other pours so far resulted in lovely metal to machine with no flaws. My approch to casting at the moment is to keep it as simple as I can until I get a bit more experence under my belt and when I cast up the other head I want to try putting a riser in the middle of the head where the shrinkage occured and try that.
Pete

Im expecting even more Mousepower from my new and improved, leaner and meaner timing cover.
Pete
DSCN0381.jpg

Way to go Pete. It seems there's no stopping you.

Vince

Last edited:
Hi Vince
No stopping me?
I had hoped to cast up the timing cover in brass today but besides an hour or two its been raining all Day:mad:
Here is a pic of me getting my brass ready for the furnace.
Pete
DSCN0382.jpg

Hello Pete,
Very nice project you are working on. I have enjoyed reading and looking at the photo progress of your V-8. I have picked up some pointers watching your progress. I have only soldered engines together. No lathe yet, but soon. Keep up the great work,

Danny

Thanks Danny
There is nothing wrong with fabricating an Engine Block Buddy.
The Amsbury 120 cc model V8 had a Block made up of brass plate from memory and I assume it was silver soldered together but yes, You will not know yourself once you have a Lathe and a Mill.
Just have fun.
Pete

Hi guys
I did the Timing cover pour today after work and it looks like it will clean up real nice, I made it out of brass not only for looks but cos im thinking of running of just boring for a close sliding fit with the Crank but may change my mind down the track.
Dont think Ill bother melting my swarf again as I just about went crazy getting all the dross out.
Pete
DSCN0383.jpg

DSCN0384.jpg

Looking good,

What type of sand are you using in the box??? (Recipe maybe);)

Might have to give brass a go at some stage, have not yet tried casting it, I reckon it would be handy in the future.

Cheers Baz.

Last edited:
Hi Baz
I just went to the landscapers and got a nice fine white sand then mixed 1 part Bentonite to 10 sand.
The Bentonite can be bought at the supermaket as kitty litter and crushed with a roller as its not refined to foundry standards or I guess you could buy the good stuff and save yourself a lot of mucking around :hDe:
Being able to cast up my own parts is a huge bost to my Hobby and is great fun in its own right ;D
Casting Brass is no harder the ally really, just a little bit hotter.
Pete

G'day Pete,

Sweet as, thanks.

Yeah much the same, I use good old Aussie beach sand. The sand over here in the West pure white and very fine. Also used Black and Gold kitty litter 10:1.

Went through 4 of the wife's blenders :wall: every time she went and bought a new one I smuggled it into the shed and burnt it out then the :fan:. I finally got a coffee grinder which did a marvellous job of grinding the clay to powder.

Baz.

Nice tip with the coffee grinder
I will keep a look out at garage sales for one
Gotta be better then a big hunk of Barstock on the concrete :)
Pete

Got Both heads done now, looks like they are both keepers too :D
have not decided what to do next.
I need Main bearing Caps more then I need a Roots type Blower, but then again maybe not :hDe:
Pete
DSCN0385.jpg

Hey guys Ive just purchace book called
The Complete Handbook of Sand Casting BY C. W. AMEN
ISBN 0-8306-1043-x
a must to have if your casting cheap $17.95 Can
GRREEEAATTTTTT work

Sounds like my kind of Book buddy
Bit expensive though :hDe:
Pete LOL

Thanks for the book information. I read alot and try to find books to help me improve what I do. Keep up the great threads.

Danny

Looking good Pete! After the casting, looks like
you'll have a good bit of machining ahead.
Keep up the good work!!

John

Thanks Guys
My build log helps me focus my energy on the Job ahead and provides me access to the opinons of a great many like minded people.
John, You are not wrong Buddy
Took a cut off the heads and one has a flaw on the deck area and im thinking of casting it again.
pete
DSCN0386.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg

Latest posts

Back