A small boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

Sandy mentioned the mix on his third post on page three of this article.

I do exactly the same, warm water, add citric acid powder while giving a good stir until no more dissolves. That is your saturated solution. I don't use the bleach as Sandy suggests, but there is no harm in trying it. I rather like seeing what grows in mine. Keep it sealed in the wifes' best Tupperware container.
It will last for ages. Throw it away when the bits won't sink thru the slime, or whatever is in there starts to bite, whichever comes first.

It is safe to put your hands in, just wash them well afterwards. Don't get drips onto any ferrous tooling, instant rust.

John

FWIW, there are also commercial pickling agents readily available. I've used them when silversmithing and they work well.

Best,

BW

Hi Guys.

RAINWATER????? We got more of that than anything in this country. I built a shelter for a hottub in the garden and ran the gutter from half the roof into a barrel of 60lts. Less than 2 weeks and its full. I knew I had done this for a reason and now I know. Rich....come and fetch some but we need to know the best way to filter it and how thorough the filter has to be. The first time it rains on my freshly washed car it is covered in a fine film of dirt from the rain. Would an in-line fuel filter work or do I need to remove the wifes tights (from her not me!)

Regards

Julian.

Hey guys,

If using rainwater from a butt, I would suggest syphoning from about halfway down, that way, you should be in the area of least contamination. Using a free flowing inline fuel filter in the line should get rid of the nasties.

Then throw in a load of chemicals and you will have tap water (without the mixed in sewage).

John

Hi

Rain water it is then. I'll bring a large fuel filter home from work and try it.

Cheers

Rich

If I'm not mistaken, if you defrost your fridge / freezer isn't the resultant fluid distilled water ................. OK I know when I do it we usually end up with a few (used to be) frozen peas in the mix but ......... wth ;)

I know modern refrigeration equipment is supposed to defrost itself but in my experience, it doesn't always happen. ::)

CC

Also wouldn't distilled water result from a dehumidifier?

BTW, have you guys seen a distillation rig like people use to make flavor extracts, perfumes, or even liquor in their homes?

I noticed a good one on this site:

FIXED LINK

Do all the distillation you like with a few pots and pans right on the stove top.

I have a Russian sort-of-father-in-law (my brother's in-law) who makes very good vodka in a rig like that.

Cheers,

BW

Edited to try and fix link:eek:(

Edited to fix the fixing! - Eric

Hi Guys,

Be careful using the water from a dehumidifier. The water is contaminated by whatever is in the room. My wifes has one at her shop but the water coming out is gungy and discoloured....its a hairdressers shop and the air is full of chemicals and sprays so passes it on to the humidity that the dehumidifier removes.

Julian

Julian said:
My wifes has one at her shop but the water coming out is gungy and discoloured....its a hairdressers shop and the air is full of chemicals and sprays so passes it on to the humidity that the dehumidifier removes.
Julian

"Wifes" :eek: You got more than one? Just kidding :big: :big:

The prototype railroads used water right out of streams. Although they did add chemicals to the water. Basically you don't want mud or calcium forming in the boiler.

Particles such as sand, mud and such can be removed by letting it settle in a container and then drawing the cleaner water off the top. If your still in doubt use a coffee filter to get those smaller particles.

As far as rain water goes, it is distilled if you think about it, evaporation. The rain picks up the dirt as it falls back to the ground. I would use rain water after running it through a coffee filter to get the dirt particles out.

For you guys were it doesn't rain much you'll need to switch to solar power. :big: :big:

Bernd

Hi

Got some rain water from Julians butt. ( theres got to be a joke or smutty comment in there somewhere ) Got a syphon tube from Wilkinsons as used by beer makers ( less than £2.00 ) and put an in line car fuel filter in. Works a treat, nice clean distilled water.

I'm still working on the hydraulic pump for pressure testing the boiler. I'll post it when it's done and working.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

I've not been posting for a while cos I've been to the seaside and have domestic duties to attend to so shop/spare time is sadly lacking at the moment. However, pinching half hours here and there I have managed to get the hydraulic pump finished. This will be used to hydraulic test the boiler when I get time to build a test rig. I searched the internet for info and also had help from you guys here on the forum. After a fair bit of trial and error and some failed attempts and one major disaster ( more on that later ) this is what I came up with. This is the one that works. Its made entirely from bar stock ( there are no castings used ) and has been designed around available materials. It uses predominantly imperial material but there are a couple of metric parts used. I am preparing some drawings and there are photos of the build but you will have to bear with me as time is short at the moment. I'll get them sorted and uploaded as soon as I can.

DSC07281.jpg

DSC07285.jpg

DSC07283.jpg

DSC07288.jpg

DSC07289.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Hi

Heres a general arrangement drawing of the pump. A more detailed dimensioned drawing will follow + photos of the build.

PUMP4.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,
I'm sorry if the answer is buried somewhere in previous posts, but would you mind simply telling us what package you are using for the drawing?
Regards, Ian.

Hi Ian

I use Coreldraw. Its probably not the best to use for this type of work but I have been using it for years and have got used to it. I have copies of Turbocad and Autocad that I have tried but need to spend some time learning how to use them.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

Heres a detailed and dimensioned drawing. I haven't done too many drawings of this type so I hope its understandable. If theres anything missing let me know and I'll try to amend it.

boilerpump2.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich, We missed you ;D

Been waiting to see how you were getting on for ages! Looks like a mighty fine pump you got there... Any idea as to the pressure it will produce?

I know what you mean about things getting in the way... I am just about to hit the shop for the first time in 2-3 weeks!!!!

So much to do.....

Looking forward to the rest,

Ralph.

Hi

Ralph, I have only tried the pump in water and know that it works. I haven't piped it up to a guage yet so don't know how much pressure I can get. Hopefully I will get enough shop time during the next week to try it out. Got to get a laminate floor laid first to keep my good lady happy. Meanwhile heres a few photos.

I printed out a blown up copy of the plan, easier on these old eyes. Heres all the bits laid out on the blown up plan.

DSC07278.jpg

The valve body and piston body are turned from 1/2 inch brass round bar as per the drawings.

The piston body is a straight forward turning job. Its 1 1/2 inches long turned down .2 to 3/8 and threaded then drilled through and then reamed with 1/4 inch reamer.

The valve body held in a collet, drilled through. turned to size and threaded.

DSC07179.jpg

The part moved to the mill, cross drilled and tapped. An operation not shown (I forgot to take a photo) is to use a 1/2 inch end mill to counter bore to create a flat for the piston body to seat on.

DSC07180.jpg

DSC07182.jpg

DSC07183.jpg

DSC07186.jpg

The valve body is then returned to the lathe, parted off and turned to length. Then bored to the correct depth and tapped.

DSC07187.jpg

I played around with several types of valve before settling on this idea. I tried stainless steel balls in plain seats but couldn't get them to seal well enough. Then I tried stainless steel balls on 'O' rings. This worked better but still not well enough for my liking. I tried using light springs made of phospher bronze wire to help keep the balls seated as well. Finally I tried this idea and it worked a treat straight off so this is what I used. This is about as small as my fumbling digits can handle so any future models will have to be bit bigger.

Start with some 1/4 inch round brass in a collet in the lathe and turn as per the drawing.

DSC07158.jpg

DSC07155.jpg

DSC07157.jpg

Move the part to the rotary table, mounted vertically, In the mill and mill to a triangle.

DSC07167.jpg

Return to the lathe and part off.

Back in the mill to mill a 1/16 inch slot across the top. I originally made the valves without the slot but in use the valve would lift and block off the passage.

DSC07190.jpg

Make two valves.

DSC07177.jpg

More to follow.

Cheers

Rich

Rich, I love the feedwater pump project!

If I didn't have so many irons in the fire I'd be running out to the shop to make one over this holiday.

Thanks for sharing it. Nice design and it comes out looking very slick.

Best,

BW

Brilliant build log Rich, I love it when you can see the parts being made and understand the plan better.
Just one question.... What is the item that the brass bar is clamped to on the mill.... looks like an odd vice?

Keep us posted.

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back