A Simple Oscillator (First Project)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha.....welcome to the dark side.

Keep saving your pennies....your going to need them once your hooked!

It's worth it though ;)

I've had another mixture of steps forward and back, I always liked my dessert first;

I plugged the back of the misdrilled intake port and drilled down to meet it from the top

1r2hco.jpg

A bit carried away, I had oversized the bearing hole in the frame by 2mm. So I made a new bearing, this time from brass not PTFE.

rv9455.jpg

We decided that we'd like to press fit this into the frame. Thankfully, we have a -41c freezer and plenty of heat guns around. Here's the result before cleaning

27wy4k3.jpg

and a quick dry lay up

122hw88.jpg

I've been really terrible about taking photos!! I got all of the parts made and assembled so we tried to get it to run up. I haven't been able to get it running though. I think the main problem is lack of compressed air pressure. We have one compressor that runs all the air lines in the building, the system pressure is around 104 psi. The only thing I can find to get the air into the engine is a damn safety air gun. The back pressure is causing the gun to cut back the output so much I'm barely getting anything out of the end. I need to find away to get air out of the lines ha!

Or, a valve between the supply and engine. Very small valve. Or run it balls out, even though there is no governor. 140 psi should provide a few seconds of extreme excitement.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

no the problem is the safety air gun isn't giving out enough air because it's sensing positive pressure

Can't bypass the gun? Safety stuff, always in the way of progress. Or emergency room visits.

Well it isn't finished, but it's all together and we couldn't help but run it up to see what happened. I still need to fit some kind of inlet attachment, rather than having my glamorous assistant hold the airline. We managed to bend the crank when we were press fitting it all together so really that should be re-made. A bit of loctite added in a couple of places, waiting for that to dry and we'll have another go. Here's the evidence.

[ame]http://youtu.be/tkFjt0EW7wk[/ame]

You'll never forget your first runner. Each engine adds to the "this worked" and the "I won't do that again" lists. Each one gets better.
Congratulations!!

You'll never forget your first runner. Each engine adds to the "this worked" and the "I won't do that again" lists. Each one gets better.
Congratulations!!

Stan, I think I have more on the "I won't do that again" list than I do the "this worked" list!

looking forward to getting it all cleaned up and running smoothly.

Nice runner. How does it feel?

Well it isn't finished, but it's all together and we couldn't help but run it up to see what happened. I still need to fit some kind of inlet attachment, rather than having my glamorous assistant hold the airline. We managed to bend the crank when we were press fitting it all together so really that should be re-made. A bit of loctite added in a couple of places, waiting for that to dry and we'll have another go. Here's the evidence.

http://youtu.be/tkFjt0EW7wk

Its alive ! Congratulations on having a runner.

Thm:Congratulations! It’s a runner!
The more you can get on the "I won't do that again" list the better. Only making a part once means you have leftover stock. Left over stock means you have a start on the NEXT engine.
Saves on bandages too.:eek:

Welp, Here's what I think will be the last video of the oscillator, I got it running up to 6.5 BAR even with all the bits that didn't fit properly and it still felt quite comfortable! I've learned a lot whilst cobbling this together, and next I plan to make something that looks OK as well as just running. I'm giving Elmer's 33 a go, so we will see how I fare!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN1Gp0-_7NM

First runners are great. They give you the feeling that you can move onward and upward as well as the comfortable feeling of accomplishment.
Well done.
GUS

Latest posts

Back