a place to find work?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRMACHINESHOP

Reaction score
I registered today. I have not made model engines before but I want to. Is there a forum here that I could find people needing work to be done and parts made?
Thank you.

I'm sure you will find a couple people here that would like some help sometimes with a model. but your first post should be in the welcome section, with a little more information about yourself. And also where you are located in the world, as there are people from all over the world on this forum.

Jyman is correct. There are people from all over the world here so knowing where you are could help when asking for help.

That being said, I have been contacted many times about making something for others. As early as last month someone wrote me about building an entire engine. There is a market for what you are offering. If I ever get another request I could pass on your information.

sir:
The focus of this forum Is people learning to build model engines.
So if you are here to learn to build model engines primarily as a hobby and helping others do so great.
If you are here to look for work for your commercial machines shop we can probably help each other in that capacity as well . but If you are here to advertise you need to contact Austin and set up as an advertiser.
Simply click advertise here at the bottom of the page.

Generally folks here build engines for fun a few build engines for sale.

There are a couple ways we build engines the most common way is one person obtains a plan set or buys a kit and builds an entire engine. the other way less common but done work is a team build. where each team member builds a part or several pars and makes multiple copies of the parts typically enough parts to make an engine for each team member and possibly a charity engines sold and the proceeds go to the teams or team captains charity of choice. Typical team size 5-10 people depending on interest at the time and engine complexity. you could be team captain build the most complex par(s) for the engine and help others and have a complete engine making only copies of a part or two.

Like others have said people do ask for help machining engine parts or occasionally entire engine kits.
So I guess the choice is yours do you want to become an active member and build engines primarily as a hobby ? as an active member you have the privilege of occasional posts in the buy sell trade sub fora.

Or do you want to join as an advertiser and focus on commercial interests.
You are welcome to offer your services in that capacity.

I think either way we have a place for you and you are welcome . You just need to decide where your focus is on this forum.

Resectfully
Tin falcon

PS as an advertiser if you choose that rout you can stil post and be active here.
Tin

Thank you for the replies. I am interested in learning how to build the engines. Or where to get the plans, and dimensions. Making the parts would be fun as they will be smaller, yet more detailed parts than I normally make. If I am able to make parts for others as some side work I would consider that a good bonus.
Thank you again and I will post in the welcome section in a few

A good place to start looking for plans is here

http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans.html
there are many plans and kits available so ask if you are looking for something specific.
Looking forward to your introduction

And since you seem to be an experienced machinist posting build logs of your projects will help beginners.
Tin

Thank you for the replies. I am interested in learning how to build the engines. Or where to get the plans, and dimensions. Making the parts would be fun as they will be smaller, yet more detailed parts than I normally make. If I am able to make parts for others as some side work I would consider that a good bonus.
Thank you again and I will post in the welcome section in a few

What type of engines are you interested in. Personally I like the multi-cylinder internal combustion. Many here are into sterling, hit & miss, steam/compressed air. Very diverse crowd here.

I am not sure yet, I have been looking over some plans on the link that was provided and trying to pick one to start on. :)

Some drawings call for glass medical syringes. Could those be made of brass or aluminum? Or are various sizes of the medical syringes easy to come by?

Hello BRMACHINESHOP,

What are the capabilites of your shop? That may be the limit to what you can do. CNC? Waterjet? EDM?
Alot of VERY talented craftsman have posted drawings of their own designs here & can be found in the "Downloads" section. As mentioned by Tin, the "John-Tom" site also has great plans. (NONE of these plans are for commercial use.) Whatever you choose, please keep us in the loop of the build, (with lottsa pic's, we love 'em.)

Merry CHRISTMAS ALL!!

John

I have a 3 axis cnc knee mill and a manual lathe I will probably convert to cnc in February. I will definitely post pics when I start a build

I am located in the United states in Georgia. I decided to start on a four cycle gas engine. I will post pics along the way.

Maybe this works lol
ForumRunner_20131226_210208.png

Back