A Pair of Wobblers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groomengineering

Reaction score
Well, I've made a decision! :eek: Seeing as how I have at least 7 engines and 2 locos that I've started and stalled/abandoned to start new ones..... ;D I've decided that I'm not going to start a new engine until I finish all, most, some, at least one that I've started. So....

Here's a couple of wobblers I started on several years ago. Not sure why I ended up making two, I started out with just one. Anyway, first pic is where I left off. I think I was scared of the ports. Well what better time to get unscared.

Todays progress: Layed out and drilled crank and pivot holes. Almost in the right place. :-\ Made up the obligatory port gauge and marked out the ports. The plans call for the inlet port to be .344 deep and the exhaust straight through the back. The round back!! :eek: I suddenly had visions of breaking drill bits. Well, no good way around it so into the mill and it went right through. :D Wow, I guess my fears were groundless. Drilled the intake port, one down. Mounted up the second, drilled intake first since it was close, moved over and started the exhaust. No problem, till 'snap'. :wall: Got cocky I suppose. Surprisingly it didn't break coming through the back, it never got that far. Pulled out a small piece of the bit but the end remained. ???

After some sitting and thinking I decided to try putting a side port in like the intake in hopes of maybe catching the broken bit and popping it out. (i know, i know) Well, set up and drilled the intakes, started the exhaust waiting for something to go crash... All I got was tick, tick, tick when the bits met. Hmmm. Pecked lightly a couple times, it's not coming out. Oh well, maybe I can pry it loose with a pick. Grabbed the magnifier and Holy C**p, the drill tip is past the hole! I broke into the port! It's saved! woohoo1 I can do anything!!!

It was at this point I decided I'd better call it a night before I tried something truly stupid.

As an aside I think it looks better with a tube on each side. If I'd known that before I drilled the first one... Maybe that why I'm making two?

Havin' a good ole time.
Jeff

wobbler1.JPG

wobbler1.JPG

wobbler2.JPG

wobbler2.JPG

wobbler3.JPG

wobbler3.JPG

wobbler5.JPG

wobbler5.JPG

Groomengineering said:
I've decided that I'm not going to start a new engine until I finish all, most, some, at least one that I've started. So....

But its so much fun to start a new project . . .

The feeling of getting one done however is . . .

Be sure and post the pics of the "Dressed up Twins" :)

Robert

Well done and keep going. I suffer from many distractions myself. Having just completed my first wobbler I can say that completing a project is good for the soul.

Good luck with the rest,

Peter.

I, too, suffer from "too many projects"... I want to build one of everything, apparently all at the same time. :-\

Good luck, looking good so far.

Keep at it.
Any pic of what the engine looks like? Helps me understand the bits and pieces.
Sounds like you were pretty lucky. If you have any to spare...

zeeprogrammer said:
Keep at it.
Any pic of what the engine looks like? Helps me understand the bits and pieces.
Sounds like you were pretty lucky. If you have any to spare...

No pics, but think of arnoldbs' "Fancy" (only not so much) or Phibers' "Tiny" (only not so much either). I got the plans from the now defunct steamengine.org. They had four or five free plan sets and I thought I had them all but I can't seem to find the others. I'd post the plans (assuming it's kosher...) but I seem to be missing a couple sheets. Looks like the base drawing, crankpin? spring? spring retainer nut? I guess I can post what I have if anyone wants.

As to luck, believe me I need all I can get ;D

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
Jeff

Keep at it Jeff - good start already; and the "want to finish it" spirit is essential :D
Happy machining !
Regards, Arnold

Well, got a little done tonight. Cylinders are done and sanded, crank throws came out less than wonderful ??? I may remake them or just put disks on. But they are starting to look like engines. Maybe I can finish up this weekend! :eek:

Thanks

Jeff

wobbler6.JPG

wobbler6.JPG

GE,

Great work. :bow:

Well it's almost the weekend. IMHO, press on and get a runner, (or two), and then you will feel good and can bling to your hearts content.

Best Regards
Bob

Still looking good! Maryak's right, run first, bling later.

Groomengineering said:
... I have at least 7 engines and 2 locos that I've started and stalled/abandoned to start new ones.....

Hey, wait, what, go back... which two locos? Pics, pics!

Jeff, Bob (Maryak) already said what I'd like to say.

Regards, Arnold

Vernon said:
Hey, wait, what, go back... which two locos? Pics, pics!

Well.... I made a pretty good start on Kozos' little switcher (pic 1) and had the deck plate cut for Bob Maynards' Cli-Shay. I cut the frame pieces for it too but can't seem to find them at the moment. (pic 2) ::) Projects, projects....

Oh well, I'm in the shop now so let's see what I can get done tonight.

Jeff

DSCF0605.JPG

DSCF0605.JPG

DSCF0604.JPG

DSCF0604.JPG

Well, they're done. Have to wait for the locktite to dry and figure out how to get air into them and we'll see if they run. So can I start another one now... ;D

Looks like the next one up is a Tiny Power 'Little Kathy'. I guess I'll start a new thread in the engines from castings section, but here's a preview.

Jeff

DSCF0606.JPG

DSCF0606.JPG

DSCF0607.JPG

DSCF0608.JPG

DSCF0608.JPG

Good job Jeff Thm:

Can't wait for the video :)

Regards, Arnold

Jeff,

smiley-happy057.gif

Flahssssss.gif
Where are the running ones ???

Best Regards
Bob

Jeff:
all I can say patience
planning
perseverance
perspiration
Polishing
I started machining my first engine Sept Oct of 2001 I was active duty military on the night shift at the time in a fab shop. busted a tap went on to another engine then sat that aside then started and finished two then finished the second and then the first IIRC started a couple more in there. I now have about ten running engines a dozen if you include the two that I worked on with my wife and son to build and develop these two were original designs of sorts wobblers but unusual ones. IIRC there are about 10-12 more in various stages of build. You are not the only one that lets parts age to perfection. just keep at it.
Tin

Wow Jeff. I know you'd said you'd started these a few years ago but from what I can tell...you did more than 90% of the work in the last six days. Sometimes it feels like it takes me a week just to get a part set up. Are you on vacation?

Nice job. Looking forward to vids.

Thanks all!!

Vacation.... yea that's it ::) Well, actually unemployment :( But that's just more shop time right?

Actually only took three nights to finish, but it's a very simple engine.

Now to get air to them..... ???

Thanks again

Jeff

Back