A New Shop in Louisiana

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConductorX

Reaction score
Yesterday I got my new shop. It isn't very big but it is paid for and all mine. At 20 x 20 x 12 (feet) it is the size of a 2 car garage. It went up in about 6 hours and cost a bit over $5K. No electricity yet or any other comforts. It has a 10 x 10 (feet) roll up door, a 36 x 80 (inches) personel door and a window.

DSC_0231_zpse7825c49.jpg

"G"

6 Hours to assemble? wow. I bet you didnt take any photos of the assembly because you were busy,:) but I would like to see how that goes together. Is there a weblink to the manufacturer site?

Its amazing how dadt they go up! Our auto shop caught fie when I was 14 and we got one from simpson for 16k that measured 40x70 at 26 tall. 2 12 x 12 doors, 1 12x16 door. The building went up with me and my brother and dad and uncle in about a week. We've since put a pit in one bay, a car lift in the other and left one for my ol mans nova. We even built an apartment inside it when my bro had his little girl. I'm in the process of buying the house across the street so I'll have a nice metal and wood shop and able to walk to the auto shop :) sorry, not trying to jack your thread, I just get excited about new shops! If you hang a ceiling in it and get some of that foam sheet insulation, you'll be able to keep that thing toasty with a small kerosene heater! Keep us posted and congrats on the new shop!

Sweet shop, 20 x 20 is descent, hell I am in a 12 x16 so 20 x 20 would be dreamy for me...Congratz!!!!

i must be missing something here. this is the second thread i have seen tonight with someone with a "small shop"

it must be a U.K thing with our little sheds down the bottom of the garden.

it must be a U.K thing with our little sheds down the bottom of the garden.
Hey do not feel bad the late great Rudy Kouhoupt had what many would call a shed 8 x 12 96 square feet small enough to be ignored by the tax man.

my shop is 11x14
tin

I appreciate the compliments. I am cheating quite a bit. I have 2-8 x 20 Conex boxes that contain my tools, parts, yard equipment, and other large items. My "garage" has my VW Thing, a shop crane and the bed of my lathe. I plan to paint the floors and slowly organize my shop properly. My big tools will remain outside in the containers and only brought in when needed. All work benches and tables will be on wheels so I can move them easily.

DSC_0554.jpg

"G"

The pad was supposed to be for a driveway. So it is the typical 4" with steel mesh. The building is very light weight anyway since it is supposed to be a carport. Also, I do not plan to mount anything on the building it self. Any cranes or lifting equipment will get some extra concrete under them.

"G"

Regarding the slab .....6x6 - 10/10 WWM?

Not sure what you are asking. The slab is 20 feet x 20 feet square and level 4 inches thick. It only has the 4 inch x 4 inch square mesh steel reenforcement wire. It is the standard ready-mix truck service concrete.

"G"

The concrete guy told me I could park my F-250 on the slab and not worry about cracking it. I think it will handle what I need.

I installed some MAZAK machines at a shop and we drilled 4" dia holes in the concrete slab and then put in some 1/2" bolts about 18" long. We filled the 2 foot void under the slab with concrete to support the bolts and the MAZAK. I didn't design it just followed the boss's instructions.

"G"

That's really very cool shop you got!! I'm doing like this :wall: in my 15 years old garage!! Even though Congrats Buddy!! :) :)

The building is guaranteed for 20 years with winds up to 135 mph. Plus I am way inland from the coast about 200 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, by time a storm reaches me they have calmed down a bunch.

"G"

Latest posts

Back