New Member....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRiggs78

Reaction score
Hello, all. My name is Phil. I'm a 42 year old machine hobbyist, LEO by profession. Live in the Northern Virginia region.

One of the things on on my list to build is a glow engine, thus I found a fitting forum to borrow and share ideas.

Past projects include air rifle builds, real firearm builds, watches, and various gadgets as gifts, such as pens. All things mechanical fascinate me. I have a little machine shop in my garage to feed the madness.

Been in the RC hobby for nearly 20 years now with the last 10 years designing and building my own craft. Everything from fixed wing to multi-rotor VTOL craft; drones. Though, long ago made the electric switch and have no glow engines in the box-o-gadgets.

Came up with a four cylinder, two-stroke, cross-plane crank engine that soon will have chips flying on the lathe and mill. Just waiting for the bar stock to arrive. It will work out to be roughly 16cc. Much like an inline four motorcycle engine with four carbs. Seems like Kawasaki beat me to it after reviewing recent Japanese patents...

Seems like it will work, let's see together!

Looking forward to seeing the build!

I'm hoping it all comes together! Two approaches for this in the design. Either reed valve the carb inlets or simplify the design with piston porting. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Each crank case cavity portion is independent of the subsequent following case cavities (sealed) connected a via a single crank shaft. Crank turned accordingly to allow for a firing order 1-3-2-4. End result, inline four in cross plane crank two stroke.

Hello, all. My name is Phil. I'm a 42 year old machine hobbyist, LEO by profession. Live in the Northern Virginia region.

One of the things on on my list to build is a glow engine, thus I found a fitting forum to borrow and share ideas.

Past projects include air rifle builds, real firearm builds, watches, and various gadgets as gifts, such as pens. All things mechanical fascinate me. I have a little machine shop in my garage to feed the madness.

Been in the RC hobby for nearly 20 years now with the last 10 years designing and building my own craft. Everything from fixed wing to multi-rotor VTOL craft; drones. Though, long ago made the electric switch and have no glow engines in the box-o-gadgets.

Came up with a four cylinder, two-stroke, cross-plane crank engine that soon will have chips flying on the lathe and mill. Just waiting for the bar stock to arrive. It will work out to be roughly 16cc. Much like an inline four motorcycle engine with four carbs. Seems like Kawasaki beat me to it after reviewing recent Japanese patents...

Seems like it will work, let's see together!
Can't wait to see this engine. In the mean time, I have had several of my guns stolen, can't get them back, can't get restitution, etc. etc. etc. so the guns being so incredibly expensive, I want to build my own. I like revolvers, semi-autos, etc. Also, eventu;ally would like to try rifles. Do ;you have any suggestions? (I live in the Soviet of Washington)

Can't wait to see this engine. In the mean time, I have had several of my guns stolen, can't get them back, can't get restitution, etc. etc. etc. so the guns being so incredibly expensive, I want to build my own. I like revolvers, semi-autos, etc. Also, eventu;ally would like to try rifles. Do ;you have any suggestions? (I live in the Soviet of Washington)

Washington state, or D.C.? First, you will need to see if there are state restrictions on what is now called "ghost guns". If not, without having one of the various forms/classes of FFL, you will be limited to only make non-NFA (NFA list: AOW, SBR, silencers, machine guns, etc) types of weapons.

Provided those rules are followed, you are legally considered a 'maker'. The weapons cannot be made with intent to transfer to another, e.g. FFL form 4473; to make for transfer legally becomes manufacturer, thusly requires an FFL.

Those are a few of the legalities. Now, as far as making functional weapons, that requires knowledge of firearm mechanical engineering and knowledge in metallurgy.

Here is a recently finished 9mm pistol build. Designed and machined all the metal components.

Attachments

• 20191220_054809.jpg
    20191220_054809.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 278
Washington state, or D.C.? First, you will need to see if there are state restrictions on what is now called "ghost guns". If not, without having one of the various forms/classes of FFL, you will be limited to only make non-NFA (NFA list: AOW, SBR, silencers, machine guns, etc) types of weapons.

Provided those rules are followed, you are legally considered a 'maker'. The weapons cannot be made with intent to transfer to another, e.g. FFL form 4473; to make for transfer legally becomes manufacturer, thusly requires an FFL.

Those are a few of the legalities. Now, as far as making functional weapons, that requires knowledge of firearm mechanical engineering and knowledge in metallurgy.

Here is a recently finished 9mm pistol build. Designed and machined all the metal components.
Whoa! Just the kind of thing I give my 5 year old for a toy! (JK, my kidz are all in their 30s). but this is beautiful. It's Washington State thus the "Soviet", the most liberal state in the Union (don't know whether I should laugh, rejoice or cry). Is there anyone out there who claims their state is more liberal? (Let's duke it out. BTW I consider myself a liberal, just not a PSEUDO-liberal)

Yeah, I know about those laws, have no intentions of selling or making machine guns--just things to replace my stolen items and maybe a few more so the thieves have more to look for next time. I know about the "buttons" to make the riflings, which has always amazed me how that is done. Can you tell me about that? thanx

Oh, D.C. may have you guys beat!

I've only ever did one rifling job. That was on a target air rifle I built. Progressive twist rate. Starts at 1:20 twist progressing to 1:14 at the muzzle in a 18" barrel.

Several ways and tools to rifle. Most common, cost effective is button. Some buttons have twist rate incorporated into the design, some are straight shank with indexable cutters that require a mandrel with desired twist rate.

There are probably 10 different forms and methods to making barrel rifling.

For my real guns, I just buy barrel blanks with the specified caliber and then I chamber and machine the rest.

It's a very labor intensive task to do in the home shop and get production quality. You can be nearly finished, job looks great, then over-lap polish the bore by .001" then left with a barrel with countless hours invested that is a turd on accuracy.

Oh, D.C. may have you guys beat!

I've only ever did one rifling job. That was on a target air rifle I built. Progressive twist rate. Starts at 1:20 twist progressing to 1:14 at the muzzle in a 18" barrel.

Several ways and tools to rifle. Most common, cost effective is button. Some buttons have twist rate incorporated into the design, some are straight shank with indexable cutters that require a mandrel with desired twist rate.

There are probably 10 different forms and methods to making barrel rifling.

For my real guns, I just buy barrel blanks with the specified caliber and then I chamber and machine the rest.

It's a very labor intensive task to do in the home shop and get production quality. You can be nearly finished, job looks great, then over-lap polish the bore by .001" then left with a barrel with countless hours invested that is a turd on accuracy.
LOL, a turd on accuracy. -- That's really good! Well DC is not a state so is not allowed in the contest for the highest Soviet.

Back