A minor bit of toolmaking - modified ball bearing for holding rough stock.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred

Reaction score
Whilst otherwise laid up with the Evil Honduran Chicken Flu (my name for whatever illness I caught traipsing around Central America last week :mad:), I had a little time to re-read Harvey's Machine Shop Trade Secrets and try a few minimal things before needing another lie-down. Anyway.. one thing that interested me was the modified ball-bearing he uses for squaring rough-sawn blocks. Takes five minutes to make one.. six if you take pictures.

Start by setting the jaws of a bench vise to slightly smaller than the diameter of the ball bearing (this one is 3/4", Harvey recommends a 3/4" to 1" size) and sitting the ball on the jaws so it's just a little less than halfway down.

BBvise.jpg

Then take a handy collet block with a collet sized to the diameter of the ball and grab the ball:

BBvisecb.jpg

BBvisecbin.jpg

Tote that over to a grinder or sander and have at it.

bbgrind.jpg

About a 1/2" flat is recommended

BBdone.jpg

Use it to hold blocks to be squared until you can get parallel sides put on 'em. This will likely leave a divot in the piece (the flat is so you don't divot the vise jaws), so it's best for rough stock.

bbinuse.jpg

all right more neet info to store in brain thank you

Another approach to holding rough stock in the vise is to buy a few lead fishing sinkers and cast up a rectangular lead bar about the size of the chuck jaws and about 1/4 to 1/2" thick. The lead will deform to grip just about anything. When it gets totally bunged, simply recast it.

Speaking of fishing sinkers... In this area the tackle shops have something called a "cod weight". Picture a one inch cube with a hemisphere on one end. Drill a hole through it and attach a handle and voila!, a nice compact lead hammer for tapping stuff down into the vise jaws.

Hmm.. that reminds me I did run across an old box of scrap lead the other day. IIRC we had some threads on things-to-make with lead (hammers, blocks, etc) back in the early days of HMEM. Since I went looking, here's a few for those that might have missed them. Unfortunately some photos have been lost, but y'all should be able to get the gist of it.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=558.0
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=556.0
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=685.0

why make one when you could just steal one from the broken Kurt vise at work ;D

I like the ball bearing....Great ideas are simple, and I wont need to spend vast resources and time on that tool! ;D

Another way to deal with rough stock and castings with draft is a bit of lead roof flashing if you happen to find some at a demolition site...grab a foot of it ...works great! If you grab a rough part in a vice with this it will stay put.

Latest posts

Back