A first start

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desellers

Reaction score
Hi All.

Well it is about time for me to start a build. For my first project I have selected a V8 engine. I already have a wealth of machining skills but I am not used to working in small scale. We will see how it goes.

I have a 3D CAD system, Alibre, and I believe in build in the computer before you build on the machine. Currently I have plans and I am doing a virtual build. Attached is my 3D engine block. The PDF is interactive. Click on the picture and you should be able to rotate the block in 3D.

I will give 3 attaboy's to whoever guesses the designer.

More to come as I get time.

Dennis Sellers
Model Dimensions Machine LLC
I cannot figure it out. I cut it off twice and it is still to short.

View attachment Block.pdf

Nice work Dennis.
I also have the plan set from Steve, I had planned to convert to metric but haven't really had the time due to work, also 'coz I'm working on a couple of 'simple' engines before I challenge myself with the Li'l Demon.
Which flavour of Alibre are you using? I use PE but really wish I could afford the upgrade to 'Pro' or 'Expert'

Looking forward to the rest of your build, will be watching this thread with much interest :)

Nice work Dennis.
I also have the plan set from Steve, I had planned to convert to metric but haven't really had the time due to work, also 'coz I'm working on a couple of 'simple' engines before I challenge myself with the Li'l Demon.
Which flavour of Alibre are you using? I use PE but really wish I could afford the upgrade to 'Pro' or 'Expert'

Looking forward to the rest of your build, will be watching this thread with much interest :)
I have a professional machine shop so I am using Alibre Expert now known as Geomagic Design™ Expert 2013 with CAM option. I draw the part hit a few buttons and take the program to my CNC's
I am getting spoiled. I grew up as a toolmaker when the only thing a tool shop had was a manual Bridgeport and a lathe.

Alibre, at least the expert version you can create your model in inches and turn on dual dimensions which with show inches and metric. That way you do not need to convert every number.

Cheers.

Thanks dennis
Im looking forward to the build :cool:
Here is a pic of my current work in progress to motivate you!
Pete
You are a lot farther than I. I have yet to cut a chip. I see a lot of good hours in your build.

You know a good toolmaker only makes chips to release the part from the material it is stuck in. If a toolmaker cuts the part, Opppps.

It has been a few weeks since I posted my progress on building a Little Demon V8. The model is still being built in Alibre. Error checking features Alibre will eliminate most errors.

Steve's blueprints are very detailed. I am only running into a few small problems. Steve if you are reading this, good job on the blue prints.

Attached is an interactive PDF. Click on the picture and you should be able to move the model in 3D.

The block is about 75% done. I hope to start making chips in about a month depending on other commitments.

Updates to follow as time permits.

Dennis Sellers
Model Dimensions Machine LLC

View attachment Exploded View (3).pdf

Again, great work Dennis.

Alibre, at least the expert version you can create your model in inches and turn on dual dimensions which with show inches and metric. That way you do not need to convert every number.

I have PE version, not sure it does the conversion (I haven't looked for it) but I figure it will probably be easier for me in the long run to start from scratch with a metric design and try to achieve nice round numbers(where possible) rather than unusual dimensions.
For example, say the plan has a 3/16" dimension, converted that is 4.7625, I will round up to 5mm and check that dimension against all other parts it may affect, if there are issues, I may need to go back and round it instead to 4.8mm and check everything again.
Also makes it easier for using the metric handwheel scales on my machines, and my metric tooling(counterbores etc), metric fasteners and bolts etc etc.

Big job but should be worth it in the end I reckon.

Big job but should be worth it in the end I reckon.

I believe that is why we have hobbies. I person spends their lives doing the bidding of others. A hobby is time to be creative by doing your own bidding.

If you are having fun then carry on.

Dennis

Latest posts

Back