9 x 20 mini lathe electric motor failure

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdwrench1

Reaction score
Hello All,
My KBC 9 x 20 quit working today.
When I turn it on the motor hums but won't turn.
I pulled the top cover off to check the electical connections but everything appears to be tight.
I tried turning the motor by hand once power is applied and it rotates very slowly.
Could both the start and run capacitors fail at the same time or should I pull the motor and check the brushes and armature

tia
Wayne

It's an induction motor with a start and run capacitor so it doesnt have brushes....

You could try stripping the motor and checking the centrifugal switch that switches out the start cap...

I'd be surprised if both caps have failed at the same time but you never know....

Check the switch and get back to us with how you get on....

Where abouts are you in the universe? UK/USA

John Rudd said:
Where abouts are you in the universe? UK/USA

If you click on his screen name and look at his profile you'll see that he's from Ontario.

Still, it would be nice if his location were under his avatar as well. You know, just like yours is, John.

replace both caps. they are not that expensive.

Tom R

mklotz said:
If you click on his screen name and look at his profile you'll see that he's from Ontario.

Still, it would be nice if his location were under his avatar as well. You know, just like yours is, John.

You mean like it is?... (tongue)

Thanks Gents,
I'll try to have a look at it tomorrow.

Wayne

(in Ontario Canada) ;D

HI Guys
The 6 pin terminal block on the back of the motor is cooked.
I'll have to pull it off to see if I can get one locally (which I doubt)
If anyone has a source for spare parts for these let me know

Cheers
Wayne

If the terminal block is burnt, you may have a short somewhere in the windings.

The motor is usually a 3/4 HP Single-Phase 1725 RPM ODP 110V.
A new one goes for around $150USD from Grizzly. New Motor

The parts for the motor are also available from Grizzly. Motor Parts List

And YES Grizzly Does Ship To Canada if the weight is less than 70 pounds.

Rick

Wayne;
Your KBC is in all likelihood the same as the BusyBee CT039 9x20 lathe. They seem to be good at stocking parts. Try their Parts & Service Department;

905-738-5115

You'll probably end up talking to Ameen (ext 6506). BusyBee does not list parts on their website but they do stock service parts.

Cheers Garry

Thank you for the spare parts tips.
I've got the terminal block off and it looks exactly like a loose terminal connection on a Harley starter. The current burns the block if a good mechanical connection is not present.
I'll try reconnecting all the wiring with good mechanical connections (ie: soldering and heat shrinking) to see if the motor runs OK before I proceed with ordering spare parts.

Thanks again for all the input.

Cheers
Wayne

Hello All,
Repairs completed.
Runs like a top again.

Thanks for all that answered.

Cheers
Wayne

Back