6" lathes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BillH said:
Hello Kludge, I am sorry for never introducing myself here. There are so many familiar faces from homeshopmachinist that I didn't think of it.

Not a worry, Bill. I might check in over there someday. Dunno yet.

I'm a used to wuz grounded on a medical while I was working on commercial, multi and instrument simultaniously in a seriously undernourished Piper Apache. Critical engine out missed approach in that beastie was "amusing". I had much, much lots of instrument time under instruction in - hood and actual - but that was while I was waiting for ther FAA to pass my medical waivers and, in some rather odd way, didn't count toward an instrument ticket. Before they yanked my medical I flew tail draggers & trikes, flat & round engines, monoplanes & biplanes, and some off-the-books time in a variety of things up to and including a KC-135. Now I can't afford to even consider the merest thought of flying again. Well, not the real ones. ;)

And you're not the only person I've heard say "Screw ATC" and move on to more rewarding careers.

When I moved to Pittsburgh, I was surrounded by steam - railroads, rivers, donkey engines ... everything. And, like every right thinking male (and a few females), I fell in love immediately. I was also surrounded by old oil wells powered by a wide variety of engines that made nights delightful to listen to. I knew where most of the wells were so could identify each one by sound. (Kids today have absolutely no clue what they're missing.)

The reason I said "real ones" is because I've been planning out a fun project, a 101" wingspan B-25 using Nick Zirolli's plans. (I may opt for the larger 118" plane instead.) I'm redesigning it as a civilian camera ship with one each still and video camera in the bomb bay in a turret that can rotate 45o to each side of the flight path. It requires a bunch of radio to fly but it also has feedback sensors to monitor pretty much anything I want to monitor and autopilots that can fly under GPS control. (Off the shelf, folks - both the monitors and the autopilot - and not all the expensive.)

Since I'm not up for juggling two 8-channel radios and an assortment of other goodies, the plan is to create a glass cockpit to handle the outputs from the feedback equipment & autopilots plus cameras in the cockpit & bombardier's nose with a control group set up to match a B-25 including a quadrant less prop pitch controls. (Fixed pitch props.) The end result will be kind of like what you're doing for Flight Simulator but with a model airplane at the other end.

The odds favor my never completing this project though I will build parts of it for testing. I can't afford it and I need some R/C "stick time" to bring me back up to speed ... electric and preferably twin. That I can do (I hope) which should allow me to test a few other bits, including flying with a cockpit view camera.

Okay, before anyone wonders why this is relevent, some of the bits will have to be machined, some in metal and some in plastics, including a few experiments with the engines which were covered in another thread. (Memo to me: thrust and torque indicating mount.)

Above all else, flying airplanes and playing in the workshop takes my mind off the things in life that are hard to deal with, they are my therapy and life.

As far as the therapy goes, you're not alone. More than just us are the same way. As to airplanes, I can't fly the real ones anymore but models would be a pleasant substitute. Hmmm ... I wonder if restricted airspace includes models. ;D

Nice to meet you Kludge, and others.

Nice to meet you as well, Bill. And, as I said, welcome to the asylum. :)

BEst regards,

Kludge

Cedge said:
Kludge
Taking a page from the Bogster anti VAT play book, do you happen to know anyone making the trip back and forth on the cruise lines? Might you be able to talk one of those guys into playing courier for you some of your main land needs?

Not that many cruise ships come in here anymore which is a sad state of affairs. On the other talon, Matson's here all the time and I may know someone who knows someone. Local kine ohana - everyone's related in one way or another. :)

Lemme think upon that a bit.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Might be a bit more sticky, but with your aviation background, you might try hangar flying with some of the trash haulers making mainland trip by air. Good scotch still moves the world in those circles, doesn't it?

Steve

Tin Falcon said:
There are not dials or grads on the feed handles.

That just makes it more exciting. :D

tooling is hard to find or expensive IIRC Zero Morse taper.

Just late night thought about this. The Clisby also has an MT0 taper on the tailstock but smallish. Very smallish. One of the projects at hand is to make a jig for the compound cross slide on one of the machines so turning an MT0 taper will be simplified to make tailstock tooling for it. There's no reason it can't be stretched to include a larger diameter.

Just a thought.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Cedge said:
Might be a bit more sticky, but with your aviation background, you might try hangar flying with some of the trash haulers making mainland trip by air.

Hey, tourists aren't trash until they run out of money! ;D

Anyway, there are a couple interisland freight haulers still flying classics (C-47, Beech 18) so they'd be my first point of contact. Find out who likes what (from Single Malt to Bud Lite) and move up the food chain. I have to stop by there anyway to talk with them about any Aircraft Radio Corporation products they may have hanging around. (That's who my book's about.)

You gave me another idea, though. I'm a disabled vet and current military tends to be nice to us. We have ships & aircraft coming and going all the time. Lemme think upon how to arrange something there. I know I know someone, I just can't remember who I know.

BTW: My ohana cousin works for one of the companies that strips ships to be sunk for artificial reefs. I've got him keeping an eye open for machine tools that might go adrift. :)

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge, it may not surprise you that I was once really big into R/C aircraft. Learned to fly with the gliders, then went to electric powered then to glow power. At one point I had a Saito 3 cylinder Radial engine, the 1.70.
At one point I attached a color wireless video camera to my r/c hummer and chased the cat around the house with it. IT was simply the best video game I ever played before in my life, well until the 757 Level D simulator.
I trimmed my collection down to a Coaxial R/C helicopter, forget the name of it, it is the one that comes with the 2.4ghz spread spectrum 5 channel radio for under 200$. Let me tell you, this thing is incredibly easy to fly for a helicopter and is tons of fun. If it was a tad bit bigger, I could attach my video camera to it. IT can only carry about a deck of cards barely out of ground effect.
For your project, I'd imagine you'd have a GPS onboard spitting out location data via NMEA code being deciphered into a microcontroller that tells the autopilot where to steer the airplane. And I'd bet you'd add in a Video Overlay board that also spits out information on the video of Altitude, Ground speed, battery voltages, and heading?
As for the autopilot, you going to use Futaba's version that detects the contrast between the sky and horizon? At one point I was looking into building a UAV.
Sorry to hear that you lost your medical, that is my biggest fear, besides getting an infraction from the FAA. Both career ending events.

Bill, I'm going to take this to personal message-land since we've drifted off topic and this shows no sign of returning. OTOH, it's what happens whentwo pilots get together. :)

Best regards,

Kludge

Small lathes turn up around here( Portland OR) pretty often Mr Kludge!! I sure found myself a honey of a Atlas 618...Doing CL searches via ...the" lathes :craigslist.org" sure leads me in the right direction.Or just Portland or Eugene or Salem Oregon searches...I am game and office at home... favors always help my Karma...

Consider me an West Coast option to pickup and ship assist. I have a nose for decent projects...

mogogear said:
Small lathes turn up around here( Portland OR) pretty often Mr Kludge!!

I haven't expanded my CL search past Paradise yet though I may well have to do that. I don't know if small lathes never made it here or if people love them so much they're handed down generation to generation or if they simply forgot there's one in the crawlspace under their homes but, whatever the problem, my luck has been negative.

Consider me an West Coast option to pickup and ship assist. I have a nose for decent projects...

I do appreciate that. All I need is the machine - no motor or bench - which should lighten things beautifully.

Ummm ... no comment on the nose though. ;D ;D ;D

BTW, folks. I'm gonna be off the air for a few days. XP has decided to shed drivers so it's time for me to do a new software suite overhaul. This will take a bit longer than usual since I'm going to be fine tuning the install so I don't have to uninstall the things I don't want later on. By that time I'm sure that someone will have figured out either what the question the answer to which is 42, or the answer to the question, "What is your quest?" Both are very important in the general scheme of things.

BEst regards,

Kludge

[/quote]

Latest posts

Back