5c collet chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I finally ordered the 5c collet chuck from metal lathe accessories. Should be fun and educational.

If you are going to use the one that attaches to a backplate I have one and I like it a lot for doing work close to the chuck. It's great for turning square stock too if you get the square collets.

I did fiddle with mine a bit when I set it up to get TIR of 0.002". You can do better with effort.

I use the independent 4 jaw for work that demands it.

Cheers,
Phil

That is my chuck-of-choice. It's rarely off the lathe. Over the past year, I've gotten a pretty full set of Hardinge collets (used). Guess I've been lucky in that, even used, they check out to be very accurate. Hardinge starts out way more accurate than I need to be, so a bit a wear hasn't affected my work. Be careful with, imports. Some have been good, some way out and were returned.
Don't forget that hex and square collets are also very useful.
Collet block sets are inexpensive and very useful for holding small parts in the mill and my die filer. If you dont have one, get a spanner for the collet blocks. Way better than pump pliers.
Also cheap is a collet stop. My use is not so much for making multiple parts, but rather to keep small parts from sliding down the collet while I tighten it.

He sent it today. I also ordered some used collets in the main sizes I use and a new collet to match the taper when I machine the chuck. I just wish I had a video camera to film the making. There are very few photos of this chuck on the interwebs and no videos of it. I'm surprised, because it's such a pretty chuck and you'd think that one would be proud of it. I have a video camera on my phone but no way to mount it. I'll have to put something together in aftereffects.
Anyway, I'll post my progress.

If you are going to use the one that attaches to a backplate I have one and I like it a lot for doing work close to the chuck. It's great for turning square stock too if you get the square collets.

I did fiddle with mine a bit when I set it up to get TIR of 0.002". You can do better with effort.

I use the independent 4 jaw for work that demands it.

Cheers,
Phil

Im not sure if it does our not. I'll post photos when I get it.

My advice is to get a full set of collets by 1/16" increments. Ordering piecemeal can be frustrating. Or you could consider having some "emergency: collets that you bore out to fit a size that you don't own a collet for.

One thing I most like about a collet chuck is that there are no chuck jaws to hit you when you're filing/polishing on the lathe.

He sent it today. I also ordered some used collets in the main sizes I use and a new collet to match the taper when I machine the chuck. I just wish I had a video camera to film the making. There are very few photos of this chuck on the interwebs and no videos of it. I'm surprised, because it's such a pretty chuck and you'd think that one would be proud of it. I have a video camera on my phone but no way to mount it. I'll have to put something together in aftereffects. Anyway, I'll post my progress.

He does have one nice design for a collet chuck. Apparently he didn't have a booth at this years Cabin Fever, I was a bit worried that something bad happened. Metal Lathe Accessories has a really interesting line of products that hopefully will remain around for a long time.

You are right about few pictures being on the net. That is actually surprising as many seem to like the unit.

I built his "Die Filer" and the "Sine Plate". All the castings were great quality and the instructions were good as well. He does have nice products and and they are reasonably priced. Bought in person at the NAMES show a few years back. Sorry not the greatest picture but the only one I had. I like the collet chuck as well but haven't made it. Good luck with your build.

IMG_0805.jpg

My advice is to get a full set of collets by 1/16" increments. Ordering piecemeal can be frustrating. Or you could consider having some "emergency: collets that you bore out to fit a size that you don't own a collet for.

One thing I most like about a collet chuck is that there are no chuck jaws to hit you when you're filing/polishing on the lathe.

The collets I bought looked to be in pretty good shape and they were like $2 each. I plan on getting a full set eventually, way ahead of you on that.

He does have one nice design for a collet chuck. Apparently he didn't have a booth at this years Cabin Fever, I was a bit worried that something bad happened. Metal Lathe Accessories has a really interesting line of products that hopefully will remain around for a long time.

You are right about few pictures being on the net. That is actually surprising as many seem to like the unit.

He's fine as far as I know, sounds to be in good health. I really like the name on the front of the chuck, I wish the rest of his castings were like that.

Update.
Here she is. With all the pieces. You get drawrings, instructions, a catalog, a receipt, the castings:
Body, backplane, stock for the nut, 200 ball bearings (the instructions plan for an alternate ball race), three cap head screws, a set screw and drill rod for the key.
I'm painting it now with a black epoxy paint. She'll get three coats over three days and the I'll start machining it. The only thing I'll have problems with are the Tommy bar holes on the perimeter of the nut. Will probably use my dremmel on the tool post to spot the holes and set up a jig to finish them off. There are some groves as well but shouldn't be a problem.
ForumRunner_20131005_145758.png

I didn't realize this was a casting kit. It should be interesting. Good luck with this project. If you plan to post your machining work we'll move this to a work-in-progress.

Cheers,
Phil

I didn't realize this was a casting kit. It should be interesting. Good luck with this project. If you plan to post your machining work we'll move this to a work-in-progress.

Cheers,
Phil

That would be good. I'd like the build to have its own page, thanks.

I don't have a camera to videy the build but this morning I found a tripod mount for my Xperia Z phone and a flexible leg grippy tripod.

Philjoe5,

I'm somewhat surprised at the the runout you have with the 5C. Bought mine about 2 years ago and its very rarely off the machine. I turned the backplate on the mandrel then fitted the chuck. I always check when I put the unit back on and it is never worse than 0.0006" TIR measured on the collet mounting face. The collets, however, well you only get what you pay for. In $ we get charged about $17 each!
I wonder who will be the first to design and build a 5C collet that works the same as an ER32.

macmarch (UK)

Philjoe5,

I'm somewhat surprised at the the runout you have with the 5C. Bought mine about 2 years ago and its very rarely off the machine. I turned the backplate on the mandrel then fitted the chuck. I always check when I put the unit back on and it is never worse than 0.0006" TIR measured on the collet mounting face. The collets, however, well you only get what you pay for. In $ we get charged about $17 each!
I wonder who will be the first to design and build a 5C collet that works the same as an ER32.

macmarch (UK)
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Where did you buy the chuck?

I don't have a camera to videy the build but this morning I found a tripod mount for my Xperia Z phone and a flexible leg grippy tripod.

were did you purchase this
internet address if possible
thanks

What internet address?

I think Luc is asking for the web link to the vendor that supplies the kits you mentioned in this post - 5c chuck, Die Filer, Sine Plate etc.
You keep referring to him as "he". I was wondering the same question myself

Last edited:
I think Luc is asking for the web link to the vendor that supplies the kits you mentioned in this post - 5c chuck, Die Filer, Sine Plate etc.
You keep referring to him as "he". I was wondering the same question myself

you read my mind:D

Back