5c collet chuck at CDCO for $139.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one last year and am very pleased with its performance. I'm getting about 0.0015" runout on a 1" bar close to the collet opening. I had to play with mounting it on the backplate a little because I started with close to 0.010".

Its quality seems good for the price. I often turn square stock so I also bought the square collets. They are a major convenience.

Phil

I had to totally disassemble mine after getting about .030 runout at 3" out. Chips not cleaned out after machining. Was the second one as the first one was bad also.

bought one last year same experience as previous reply - had to machine back plate (D3) twice to get it within .0005 on a 1/2 bar of silver steel (drill rod).

Pretty happy with it and have bought a couple of extra collets such as a 1/2" square.

If I want total accuracy still machine component from a larger diameter bar.

Some stuff from CDCO is a little rough, but cannot complain at price. The CDCO C5 collet set has proven to be pretty good in use and use in prefernce to chuck.

SteveO

I've been thinking of ordering one myself and the only reason I haven't done it is due to the above problems. How difficult is it to dissemble and fix the run out by hand fitting the parts when reassembling? On another note I've noticed the sale prices are always extended. Perhaps it just "Window Dressing" for the home page.

Latest posts

Back