5 Cylinder radial (winter's project)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure is purty, George. Gonna be a beauty!

Chuck

Gentlemen,
Time for an update. I haven't done much on the engine as several other projects have taken the front seat but I did manage to get the stand started. Eventually it will have a vertical piece at the rear which will hold the fuel and oil tanks. I plan on cutting it out with a skeleton X frame similar to the side pieces. I was thinking that I might even do that on the base piece between the uprights. That should make it look real mechanical.
George

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

Here's a couple of closeup shots showing the motor mounts. The Allen screws go through the mounts, a spacer bushing, the boss on the crankcase and into a nut. I don't have much room for the nut so when I get to tearing it back apart I will take .03 more from the boss for nut clearance.
George

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

Seeing your nice close-up pics just reminded me of a question I forgot to ask. Do you have any kind of o-ring or gasket or sealant goop on the induction tube ends?

2012-03-07_203137.jpg

The intake tubes will have a flange and gasket on the head end and will have a light coat of non hardening motorcycle engine sealer on the crankcase end. The clearance between the tube and the crankcase hole is about .0015 so it won't take much to seal it up. The exhaust pipes will be short with a slight curve to them. They will have a flange similar to the intake side.
gbritnell

Hi George.
I have one question for you to day: Do you made the nice little distributor or ....?
BTW you make a nice piece of engine ( as usual ;D)
CS

Hi CS,
The cap was made by a fellow named Bruce Satra here in the States. He sold his inventory to S&S machine who makes the electronic ignitions for model engines. They have caps for several different configurations.
gbritnell

I still say you must be in some kind of time warp George compared to us mere mortals :big: But in any event, its looking really REALLY fantastic!!! Sooooo looking forward to seeing it run too.

Bill

I'm really in no position to complain, but my soul crave for an update on this fantastic project .... ::)

Hi fellows,
I'm sorry for the lack of updates on the radial but I have been focusing my attentions on finishing the 1/8th Galloway engine for the NAMES show. I hope to get back to it in the next couple of weeks. I was hoping to have it finished for the NAMES show but this little Galloway has taken more time than I figured.
I will bring it with me finished or not.
George

George,
Not to add to the pressure on you, but remember that you have a bunch of addicts out there, hanging on your progress. Drop an occasional crumb for the acolytes to keep us fed with your progress.
Mosey
Thanks for the S&S link.

Hi fellows,

Well with the hit and miss engines wrapped up and delivered at the NAMES show I've had time to get back on the radial. I finished up the distributor and as the miter gears were a special order from Stock Drive Products I thought I would have another go at making a couple from steel. These gears are 48 DP and have 15 teeth. Working from Ivan Laws book on gears I had made some usable gears awhile back but I wasn't happy with them. I redid the calculations and made a new drill rod/silver steel cutter. The hardest part in making these gears is the second and third cuts where the dividing head has to be rotated 1/4 of a tooth and then the cutter repositioned to enter into the initial slot. My second attempt is much better. On a larger gear you can see things better and can make any small adjustments necessary but with these small gears you just have to go by dimensions.

Next up was the carburetor. As I have stated in the many threads on this forum I've had excellent performance out of just the simple air bleed type carbs so this one is no different, just smaller.

The intake pipe have been made for some time now but the flanges were needed to silver solder them together. I used up most of the stainless tubing that I had purchased for the job partly because of the wasted practice pieces so I had to order more for the exhaust tubes. While waiting for the tubing I made up a piece of flange stock and then cut .04 pieces from it with a slitting saw. To get everything aligned when soldering I made up a small locating fixture to hold the parts in alignment. As can be seen from the pictures the exhaust pipes are a little long. This was due to the amount of material needed to clamp into the bending fixture. I haven't decided what length to make them yet so I'll hold off for awhile.

It was back to the drawing board to come up with a back support for the oil and fuel tanks. I think I know what I need so that will be next on the build list. I need to make an oil supply tube with multiple bends for the pressure side of the pump and don't know whether my current bender is small enough or if I'll have to make another one strictly for 1/8 dia. tubing.

Attached in 2 posts will be pictures of the current state of the engine.
gbritnell

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5289.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

The last 4 pictures for this update showing a couple of closeups.
gbritnell

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5310.jpg

Glad to see this one is back on the front burner George..and looking as good as ever too!!!

Bill

Beautiful work George.

Those solder joints are impeccable, as with everything else.

I did get to see it in person at NAMES and it looks fabulous!

Superb! Absolutletly superb! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

Geez George....I can almost hear it running!

:bow:

Dave

PS How are you likeing those adjustable push rods ?....was wondering.

Dave

Back