5 Cylinder radial (winter's project)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Well gentlemen it's getting to be that time of the year. It won't be long now till the leaves have fallen along with the temperatures.
I had 3 different projects in mind, a smaller version of Ron Colonna's Offy, a chassis and differential for my 302/transmission project and a radial engine. For this winter it's going to be a 5 cylinder radial engine.
Not wanting to follow the mainstream and build someone else's engine, although there's some beauties out there, I started on my own design.
I have a complete set of drawings for the old Morton radial that an old fellow gave me many years ago. Having read about this engine in the past and after studying the drawings there were many features of this engine I just didn't care for so I pulled out the CAD and started in.
The bore and stroke will be the same but the cylinders and heads will be separate. Instead of having the cam and pushrods in the rear I moved them up front and went with an internal cam gear design ala the full sized engines. This engine will have a double oil pump, feed and scavenge, to lubricate everything. It will be driven off the rear of the crank along with the distributor.
I changed the angle of the pushrods as the Morton has widely splayed ones. This meant changing the shape of the cam lobes as both valves are operated by one set of lobes in this engine. It also meant a redesign of the rocker pedestal and the top of the head.
I pretty much have the basics all designed and just need to refine everything and make the working drawings.
All of the gears are available through Stock Drive Products including the internal gear so no fancy gear cutting will be required.
I am attaching a PDF of my layout progress so you will have an idea of what this is going to look like.
George

View attachment ENGINE RADIAL SHT 1 BLACK.pdf

Ok George, that wasnt hard to get the drool factor going. :) Looking forward to this thread would be an understatement.

Gonna be an exciting project, George. I'm sure it will be a beauty!

Chuck

I will be drooling over every post, Round engines are my favorite!
Pete

George,

I came..............I saw................I cringed ;D I am sure it will be another masterpiece but it's way above my pay/skill grade ::)

Best Regards
Bob

After reading your V-twin thread the other day, I'm looking forward to this one ;D

George,

Looks like another fine example of your work coming our way. After reading some of your other builds and seeing your next project I was wondering whether machining was part of your career or always a hobby? I don't remember reading that in any of your posts. It's always inspiring to see your work and it makes me strive for better out of my own.

Ray

Hi Ray,
I acquired a small lathe (Dunlap) when I was about 16. I didn't know how to make anything but chips as I didn't take any type of school shop classes for machining. After high school I went to art school until I got drafted into the army (Viet Nam era) While in the army I worked in a machine/fabrication shop and got to work with a German fellow (civilian worker) and he taught me quite a bit. After the army I did several jobs until the apprenticeships at Ford Motor Co. opened up. I signed up for metal patternmaking and this is where I learned my trade. I worked with a bunch of old timers who were extremely knowledgeable in almost every facet of the trade so I got a tremendous education.
In the early 70's I got my first real lathe followed by a round column mill and the rest as they say is history.
gbritnell

Hi George,

Very nice your new project... I'm anxious for next steps...

:bow:

Thanks for share with us!

Cheers,

Alexandre

Hi George,

It's great to see someone with your skills willing to share with those of us who enjoy watching and learning. At my age an apprenticeship is out of the question so the internet is the only way to learn about this. Looking forward to the build.

Ray

I have the drawing set almost complete. I just need to make a drawing of the pipework for the oiling system. As with my other drawing sets I make sheets showing the views, front, back and side. I have the front view drawing compete and am posting a line drawing.
George

View attachment ENGINE RADIAL ASSY FRONT.pdf

Keep em coming George
Love It :bow:
Pete

Hi George. Maybe you answered this in one of your other builds.. are you using 3D cad software & the drawings shown here are dervied from that? If so, what package? Look forward to this project!

Hi Peter,
No, just plain old AutoCad. For 2D drawings (done properly) I still like AutoCad.
George

Latest posts

Back