4 inch Milling Vise

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman

Reaction score
Wanting opinions. I have been milling with a toolmakers vise with no problems, but thought I should get a heavy milling vise such as the ENCO 425-7241 with swivel base on sale for $99.95 or maybe one from SHARS 202-1014 with swivel base and needle bearings for $89.95. I don't want an expensive vise but a pretty good one for my hobby use. Appreciate all advise and/or opinions. Thanks, Ironman

Advantages of a swivel base for a mill vise:

1. Eats up headroom under spindle
2. You'll never know for sure if your vise is still aligned
3. Takes up room under bench when you finally remove it for good

I really like that, mklotz. I have never had a need for a swivel vise yet, I can understand how they can become misaligned. Just was a thought in the back of my hollow head. The toolmakers vise has been great so far. I guess the mass and weight doesn't really matter unless you are taking large cuts. My vise is 10 pounds. I think I will keep on using it. Thanks, Ray

mklotz said:
Advantages of a swivel base for a mill vise:

1. Eats up headroom under spindle
2. You'll never know for sure if your vise is still aligned
3. Takes up room under bench when you finally remove it for good

There is truth in jest!

:big: :big: :big: :big:

-MB

I have the 4" milling vice from Enco about 15 years ago, but I didn't get the swivel base. Used it that all this time and I really like it. I finally broke down a couple of months ago and bought a swivel base for it, but haven't installed it yet, and don't know when I will. Not even sure why I bought the swivel base now. However, the 4" vice by itself is great and I wouldn't be without it.

Chuck

I've used a swivel base on average maybe once a year. Most of the time the base sits on a shelf, but I do find it handy for an occasional weird job.

My Bridgeport brand swivel vise has been very stable at staying in alignment.

I just realized why. The swivel base is taking up space under the bench ::)

I took it off a long time ago and never thought about it again till just now.

I figure that, if we could magically dissolve all the mill vise swivels and back issues of National Geographic stored in garages across the nation, we could get North America to rise by about 2.75 inches.

2ns/3rd/4th losing the base. The once in a blue moon you might want it, you can often just clamp the vise down at whatever angle with a clamping kit. What size mill is this going on? I've got a 4" Kurt-style clone vise and it's a fair bit bigger than the usual screwless vise-- Chris at Littlemachineshop suggests "don't even think about putting this on a mill with less than a 20"x6" table".

Well guys, thanks for the input about the vise. I am going to keep on milling with my toolmakers vise. You all are great. Thanks, Ray

More vise questions!!

I've been looking at Grizzly's tool maker vises (2" T10075, 3" T10076 and the 5" H7541)
From the pictures in the catalog it looks like the 2" and 3" have clamping grooves in the ends and the 5" on the sides.
I'm concerned that I couldn't even mount the 5" on my table (it's only 3 5/8ths wide. Minimill) unless I could clamp from the ends. Another question, the 5" come with a "vernier angle V Block". Is this something useful? If so, what?
I can't even figure out how it mounts.
Also, is there any way the 2" or 3" can mounted along the y-axis or are they strictly x-axis mounts?

Dean

I got mine from ENCO. Has mounting slots on the sides and the ends. #428-9126, Type B, page 429 online. Their Milling Vise 425-7240 is on sale also. Grizzly has their 5972 milling vise on sale for 55 bucks. Hope this helps. Ironman

I have the 3" screwless vise from CDCOTOOLS.com. Sorry, but their web site does not allow direct links to products. Go to Die Makers Tools and then Precision Grinding Vises. I got the 3" vise for $48. It has mounting grooves along both sides and the ends. Mounts on the X2 mini mill very well and is a good fit for that table. Originally got it for my drill press but liked it well enough to move it to my mill when it arrived.

Agreed to all.

My .02. ...If you need swivel, go with a rotary table. You can clamp the small vice onto it, or use other means of clamping the parts to it. But, then you can do everything with it. Mill grooves, space slots, make wheel cutouts, etc. ....And you can swivel it. And the swivel will be accurate too. ;)

They are heavy though. (at least the bigger ones are).

I think I may go with the one that has mounting grooves on the ends and the sides.
I've got a larger vise with a swivel base. I've found that the base tends to stay on the shelf.
By the time I mount a vise on my rotary table, there's not much head room left, so I've found myself mounting the work directly to the table or via a sacrificial fixture.
One question not answered yet... What is the value of a "vernier angle V-Block"? (and how does it mount?)

Dean

Sadly, I have one of those vernier angle blocks.

The graduations and vernier on it are too coarse to permit accurate angle setting.

Once set, tightening the lock screw tends to disturb the setting.

It's too tall (at least for my milling vise) and doesn't permit the vise jaws to get much of a grip on the part.

The tool is not a part of, nor does it attach to, the vise. It's a stand-alone item in the same sense as a sine bar. While it can be used in the vise, it's not a part of the vise.

Far more useful (and a lot cheaper) are a set of angle parallels...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=630-4258&PMPXNO=945262&PARTPG=INLMK3

and/or a set of angle blocks...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=630-4265&PMPXNO=951185&PARTPG=INLMK3

Thanks Marv, that's what I was looking for. :bow:

Dean

Back