witch vise for milling angles....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmgren is a good brand if you have the bucks and will use it a lot go for it . I have an inexpensive one from kits industrial sorry can not send a link they do not have a web site or have on line ordering. but if you call one eight zero zero 521-657nine I think they will send a catalog.
I would guess the price and quality would be similar to the enco one.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
palmgren is a good brand if you have the bucks and will use it a lot go for it . I have an inexpensive one from kits industrial sorry can not send a link they do not have a web site or have on line ordering. but if you call one eight zero zero 521-657nine I think they will send a catalog.
I would guess the price and quality would be similar to the enco one.
Tin
thanks Tin would you go for the 3" or 4"......

C.B.,

That is in fact a drill press vice, and NOT strong enough in the grip and rigidity stakes to be used safely on a mill.

If you do, you will be risking things just a little too much.

You might find that going the route of an angle gauge used in conjunction with your normal mill vice plenty good enough.

I very, very rarely use my angle vice, but I do use my little Wixie angle gauge all the time.

John

I have a Craftsman vise very similar to the palmgren vise. It is well made and I use it quite often on smaller projects. For hogging purposes it is a little too light to take heavy forces.

I second Bogs' opinion. I used to want an angle vise but decided that angle blocks for setup would be a better use of funds and more accurate for me as I learn this stuff. (Same reasoning kept me from buying a tilt table.)

I may still purchase an angle vise in future but it will probably be one designed and sold as a milling vise rather than a drill-press vise.

--ShopShoe

i agree with bogs , use angle blocks and just buy a good regular vise, one that gives you the most for the size of your mill.unless the cuts are real light the angle vises are not to stable. on the grinders i use angle blocks or a sine plate with my grinding vise on it, but the cuts are different and lighter.i would just buy a good st. vise or one that will swivel if you have room. jonesie

thanks Tin would you go for the 3" or 4"......
go with the 3 mine is 3" opening and 3 1/2 wide. it just fits on the x-2 i think a 4" would be too big.
Tin

I too have used ONLY angle gauge blocks now, for years. With all my Kurt vises, the first thing to get stored away is the angle plate. For other operations, an INSERT vise can carry the work, and then the insert vise is placed into the larger Kurt vise using the angle gauges.

Having a huge array of specialized tools for the mill table is both fun and desirable, but it's amazing how much can be accomplished with one good vise and the appropriate gauges or set-up tools.

Latest posts

Back