2" Fowler Traction Engine latest progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Its been a while since I last posted some photos of progress on the Fowler so here is what I've been upto

First job was to make a ball turner to do the curves on the conrod. I then used my new rotary table to complete the conrod and crosshead.

PICT0109.jpg

With this done I then moved onto the weightshaft bracket which is cast virtually to finished size so no room for error on the bore for the weight shaft. Lifting link, arm and rod were then tackled

PICT0111.jpg

PICT0107.jpg

The expansion link radius was small enough to do by hanging a bit of 1/4" flat off the side of the rotary table

expansion.jpg

PICT0110.jpg

Next on the list were the eccentrics, I did the pump one at the same time as its basically the same just a bit wider. The rods were milled from solid after sorting out an error on the drawings. Still have to drill the forked ends but will wait until the cylinder & weightshaft are mounted to get exact length.

PICT0103.jpg

With all these bits done it was time to make something to work them with so did the reversing lever, quadrant etc

PICT0102.jpg

While I was doing levers the regulator one and its bracket were fabricated, took a while to work out how to approach this one but did the main bracket in two bits silversoldered together.

PICT0104.jpg

PICT0105.jpg

Oops, left some machining marks on that:eek:

Used a bit of steel that I'd cut off one of the eccentric blanks to make the screw eyes for the steering chain and bent up the big links that go on the end. Not decided yet whether to make my own scale chain or just solder up the joints on some I got from MJ thats not quite the right shape link

PICT0106.jpg

As I'd not screwcut on a lathe before I thought I would leave this 'til over the xmas hols. Quite pleased with how it all turned out. Also made the handwheel as MJ have not had this in stock for a few years, think the stainless steel does not flow well into the thin rim.

PICT0098.jpg

PICT0099.jpg

With all these bits done I could test fit onto the tender sides and then there were no more excuses for putting off riviting it all together, all 292 of them:confused: Hope my neighbours hadn't been out celibrating as I knocked most of then in on New Years Day.

PICT0115.jpg

PICT0114.jpg

PICT0112.jpg

PICT0113.jpg

No thats not a dent in the bottom corner, just the way the light is catching it.

Next is to get the cylinder mounted and work towards running on air.

Jason

Jason

Those parts look wonderful. Great work :bow: :bow:

We want more :big: :big:

Cheers, Joe

Jason,

Beautiful work on the traction engine, is it a ploughing engine I can't remember! Wow, there's a lot of work in those parts!

Nick

Those are some very nice parts. Thanks for showing them. Very nice work.

Very neat and clean work. Next you'll have to make a thrasher or a hay baler to belt to the pulley.

Jason, absolutely outstanding work. I have a soft spot for traction engines. I go to several old engine gatherings each year and can't get enough steam and oil.
I see and adjuster for your bearing on the big end but don't see a split in the bearing. How does that work if you don't mind me asking?
gbritnell

Very fine work, indeed, Jason!
We see what you did. I would like to see how you did it, too. For things like the chain eyes and the bracket for the handle, it would be interesting to see the process of making them.

Dean

Thanks for all your kind words

gbritnell, the bearing is split but still soldered together, I have left it a bit overwidth just incase I need to adjust the alignment when the cylinder is mounted, after this it will be sweated apart.

NickG, no its an aggricultural engine, should look like this when done but without the rubber tyres, about 3ft long. Ploughing engine is likely to be next on the list.

CMS, probably go for a rack saw if I make any impliments for it.

Deanfold, I have tended to take photos of just the finished parts but will try and take some in progress shots of interesting bits and fabrications. There are a few pics in this album of the tender parts before assembly. Also the rest of the progress in this one

Jason

As I bolted all the bits together to take the engine down to a gathering a mostly MJ Engineerings engine builders and the sun was shining I thought I would take a few pics to show the current state of play.

The cylinder and motion are complete and the next job will be bolting that all onto the cylinder but here is the rest of the engine.

PICT0139.jpg

PICT0138.jpg

PICT0137.jpg

PICT0135.jpg

PICT0136.jpg

Jason

Absolutely gorgeous. Were it not for the grass, one would never know it wasn't the real thing.

I love all those control wheels right next to the unshielded gears. I wonder how many operators were minced back in the day.

Gear covers still to fit, to some of the gears at least ;)

J

Beautiful work ,it's just the inspiration I need to get on with my Minnie traction engine,thanks
Don

Traction Engine or Belt Power? Some years ago at a steam show someone asked the same question to an elderly gentleman who was operating a steam tractor.

His answer was that his tractor was a 'side wheeler' which was a belt power engine while a traction engine was a 'stern wheeler'. He said that a side wheeler, which has the rear axle further forward under the rear of the boiler, would bend the boiler if one wheel slipped while pulling a plow. The stern wheeler has the rear axle behind the boiler to eliminate this problem.

gbritnell said:
I have a soft spot for traction engines. I go to several old engine gatherings each year and can't get enough steam and oil.

gbritnell

I'm right there with you on that just can't seem to get enough if I didn't have to go to work I think I'd spend more time touring and attending even more shows.

This is absolutely beautiful work Jason!

Well done Jason
I'am sure it will run as well as it looks
Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming
Dave Bick

Jason,

That's just gorgeous. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Back