2" Fowler Traction Engine latest progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason,
You always amaze me with your workmanship...would love to see the inprocess of that sheetmetal part that you don't like to do much.........I don't think I could do that to save my life! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dave

Jason, This is just some amazing work. :bow: :bow: :bow: I hope I can just make to half the level you are at.

Ron

Stunning work Jason, it is such a big project. When I see all these traction engines at the shows, I sort of take them for granted now - I've been going to steam fairs since I was about 9 or 10 years old and used to look at them all day long. Seeing a build log like this though, just makes you realise actually how much work is in them - unbelievable. :bow:

Nick

Jason, all I can say is :bow: :bow: :bow:

Absolutely amazing on details, on finishing on everything!

I agree with Steamer, would love to see some in progress pictures of the sheetmetal parts. No clue how you got these perfect shapes in the metal!

Best regards Jeroen

You just keep hitting it with a big hammer ;D

There are a couple more smaller items in sheet metal, I'll try to take some WIP shots.

Jason

I will try your tips of just using the big hammer tomorrow.... ;D

Appreciate the effort to post some WIP pictures, I am looking forward to them!

Jeroen

Jason,

If hitting with a bigger hammer was all that was required...I'd be making tea sets for the queen! :big: :big:

PLEASE!
th_wwp th_wwp th_wwp th_wwp

Dave

Its been a while since I posted any progress so as the sun was shining I thought it about time to get the camera out.

As you can see the gear gaurds that had just been completed in my last update have now been fitted

PICT0260.jpg

The next job was to rivit the hornplates to the spec & motion plates and also the bearing brackets to the horns, I mostly used copper rivits for this to avoid damage to the gunmetal castings.

PICT0256.jpg

With the engine assembled I could get the lengths for the reach rod, drain cock linkage and the (out of sight) damper rod. As a change from metalworking a scrap of oak was machined up to make the footboard and some little coachscrews to hold them together, the hose bracket now had something to fix to as well

PICT0255.jpg

As you can see the boiler cladding and bands have also been done, these are supplied by MJEng as two rolled half circles and just need trimming to size and then lots of trial fits followed by cut/filing a bit more off until a snug fit is obtained around all the various fittings. I still have the trim around the manhole and drip tray to do

PICT0254.jpg

This shot from the other side shows the steel rubbing plate better

PICT0257.jpg

And a couple of pics from above showing the motion, etc

PICT0258.jpg

PICT0259.jpg

And a full frontal!!

PICT0261.jpg

I then pushed it out for a few overall shots

PICT0262.jpg

PICT0264.jpg

PICT0265.jpg

PICT0267.jpg

Plumbing it all up is the next job, this is the end

PICT0266.jpg

Beautiful - I know this sounds daft, but I'd almost be loathed to paint or run it! It will give such a lot of enjoyment when you do though. Work of art. :bow:

Jason
A truly beautiful engine. A great bit of engineering. I’am sure it will run as well as it looks. Its not easy painting an engine that is up to this standard but I’ve no doubt you will. Thanks for sharing the build
Keep up the good work Dave Bick

Jason,

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Stunning :bow:

Dont they shirnk when you take them off the bench!

again, stunning :bow:

JasonB, I just had to hit the applaud button for you. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is outstanding :bow: I have enjoyed going through the various threads and seeing some great mechanical devices of all sorts, but your engine is something to just sit and look at and look at and look at. I also would be very hard pressed to cover any component piece with paint. It is beautiful just as is. The good Lord has blessed you with a marvelous talent and thank you for sharing it with us.

This is just magnificent,
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Pete

I just found this thread and can't believe the craftsmenship on this build it is unreal. Congrats it looks great. Can't wait to see the video of it running. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Back