2 cycle design.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Help

Can anyone explain the workings of a non-compression IC engine? Or..... any 2 stroke cycle design that does not rely on a closed crankcase for scavenging?

I'm thinking ahead. Waaaaaaaay ahead. I want to build an IC engine without the need for gears to provide 4 stroke cycle.

Thanks

Jerry

On one hand, I looked into this some time ago and found several plans that used a sort of rachet device and a notched cam so that the valve was actuated every other cycle. Problem for that is the parts are pretty complicated.

On the other hand several of the 4 stroke plans I have looked at include a part number so you don't have to make them. Take a look at the plans for the Webster. A simple build and the gears can be purchased.

Have not even looked at 2 stroke.

Do you just not want to make gears or is there another reason for avoiding them?

black85vette

It's not that I don't want to make gears, I do. I just never have. The problem is that I am starting from a slightly radical point and want to design an IC engine around the wobble plate mechanism. I know what you are thinking. "This guy's got a one track mind". You are right.

There is a current topic underway where several members discussed the difficulty of keeping foccused and getting projects finished. I have a similar problem. I don't know when it's finished. I get the engine to run and then I want to get it to run better. In the process, a design change occurs to me and I am off in a slightly different direction meant to improve the project, but its still the same project. I don't find fault with the original designer because that's me. Sometimes the change just means remaking a part with a better fit. Sometimes it involves a major redesign of a critical component.

When I get the three cylinder version of the engine fine tuned, I will turn to fine tuning the six cylinder version. When I get that done, I will add governed power control. After that I may build a boiler to see how it runs on steam. At some point in the future I will want to build an IC version. So as I said, I'm thinking waaaaaay ahead.

Solver

Thanks for the link. I looked at Jan Ridders simple two stroke design. It does not use a closed crancase which I like. Maybe I can find a way to incorporate some of it's features

Thanks for the responses.

Jerry

Back