2-4-6 blocks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a set of 2-4-6 blocks that I mainly use for mounting items that need to have faces machined perpendicular to each other.

Some of the holes in the blocks are plain, the others are tapped 5/8", bigger than any threading tackle I have, and also a thread system I don't use.

I have standardised on 10mm for the holding down bolts on my milling machine, so to improve the versatility of the blocks, I have made up a set of 4 10mm threaded inserts to go in the 5/8" threaded holes. A screwdriver slot on one end makes them easy to insert/remove.

I have also made up a pair of bars, tapped 10mm in one and 10mm clear in the other that can hold the two blocks together if required. The 2 blocks don't necessarily have to be used together, this is just an extra facility. Longer bolts can pass through the plain hole to secure a block to the table.

The first pic shows the 4 threaded inserts and the bars used to secure the 2 blocks together on the short sides.
004cln.jpg

The second picture shows the two blocks held together on the long sides. The 10mm screws are secured inside the blocks by long hex wrenches.
005kil.jpg

The same principle could be used on the 1-2-3 blocks.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Very clever mods! The threaded holes in my 1-2-3 blocks are SUPPOSED to be 3/6-16 but are a bit on the snug side so I rarely use them for fixturing. However, your solution for turning a pair into an angle block will be quite useful. I'll have to dig a few sets out and start tinkering.

Latest posts

Back