1 more Poppin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's finally done. After rough build, I tore it part for polishing. Also made a base out of an old gunstock. Inserted a brass plate for heat protection under the burner. Stained and roughly 10, 15 coats of satin clear.

I'm feeling proud that I was able to accomplish a vacuum engine, as this is only my third engine. I've built two wobblers and gave one away. Granted I was a little testy at times, but I've learned to not rush the job, no shortcuts.

Cannot find out why my ipad won't upload video to YouTube, It makes all the way to upload then just stops and says can't upload video. If anyone knows how to fix this please respond.

image.jpg

Well I've been building a second Poppin for my father , and rather than starting another post, I thought I would just post the pics here.

My father has been visiting and leaves in two days, so that's the deadline.

This version I went ahead and did a few of the cosmetic touches. Using a 1/2 in ball mill. I used a regular end mill to do the front two radius, on the standard. I laid it on its side and cut vertically

The rear was done with ball end mill with the part vertical. Was not planned though, while cutting the center valley, my part slipped out of the vise and put a nice chewing on the corner:wall:
Did manage to save it and I like it better*beer*Thm:

The base was added/ needed since my alum. block wasn't big enough , I also added the corner detailing and brought it up to height and shape. Pretty happy with it so far.. Most likely will paint just the flywheels and polish everything else due to deadline.

image.jpg

Thought I would post finished pics of my dads poppin. Remade the burner and I think it is a nice fit. Also made a stand for presentation. Tried to mimic the old hit and miss mounting blocks. Was made out of an old gunstock again. I like using this style wood, as it provides a nice finish with a good amount of clearcoat. It's a slow process but I think it makes all the difference over other woods.

Runs nice and keeps vibrations down bein somewhat heavy. Hope you enjoy

image.jpg

Here's the backside. Only real change from plans is the center valley to clear the oversized con-rod. And a different way of using the spring.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back