1 more Poppin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naiveambition

Reaction score
Well after finishing up the Fancy Wobbler, I decided I would try a flame licker.
Plans are from johntom and was shown the way through members of HMEM. Thanx again.

Anyways here Is progress so far. Cylinder is bored and waiting reaming, cylinder head needs drilled, and was able to knock out the standard minus threading bearing caps. A nice little list has grown for tooling needed to finish this engine so it may be a slow build. Trying to finish parts I can before I have to spend the money:hDe:

image.jpg

Some time spared to make a few more parts. First off decided to start with the crankshaft. Started by squaring up brass rods and sized them according to plans. Ordered a 5/32 rod for shaft, cut and loctite'd together, still need to file inside rods to size. Also. Made valve shaft with bushing, though they are not called for in the plans. The drill had wandered and used a end mill to straighten them out, hence the bushings.

image.jpg

Also finished flywheels. Plans call for brass, but being so expensive I opted for steel. Doesn't turn the best so will have to do some polishing to make acceptable, still deciding if I am gonna paint them to give a little different look. Always liked the painted inside with polished outer. Started with turning inside diameter, flipped and did other diameter, then used center to push against chuck, held with jaws from inside and turned outside ring down to size.

These flywheels were somewhat easier, that i only needed one cutter since these don't have a shaft boss. ? For lack of a better term. Still hard and burnt my arms many times, I do not like turning steel but finally done.

image.jpg

How I turned outside diameter. Pardon the mess. But don't messes show ze masterpiece

image.jpg

Not much done this week but a little progress none the less. Started out with making the flywheel hubs. First one was a dud since I tried to use a 5/32 drill since I don't have a reamer that size. Trying to keep my cost down on this motor I took a chance and made a d bit reamer. I think their called d bits anyways.
Started with turning a 5/32 rod from cold rolled steel and hardened it. Then ground the edge on the grinder to roughly a 35 degree angle. Worked good as long as I gave it time to cut, and frequent cleaning to prevent buildup around the cutter and causing it to stick. Happy with results and a nice sliding fit.

If anyone has any info on these style reamers I would like to hear from them. I'm sure it's not the correct way, but it did work. Tried looking for info and not much found. Making them was available but, the process of using them was skittish

image.jpg

Peckin away at the poppin. This week I was able to make the cam, valve rod and, valve lever.

Cam was ground to size since I don't have milling capabilities yet, as with the valve lever. Simple turning and parting so no in action pics,. Turned 7/16 drill rod, reamed 1/8. Nicest finish I've got from drill rodso far. Seems to like heavy cuts.
Anyways 080 taped the valve rod, went 2/56 on other end though it calls for 080. The drill bits wasn't working great. And need to remake valve rocker since the hole wandered off center. Not really liking them tiny drills.

Anyone know if u can sharpen the drill bits that small to make a difference?

image.jpg

Here's the need to finish this soon shot. It's nice to have a new dose of inspiration to keep pushing till finish.

image.jpg

One of them can't sleep at 3 in the morning.

Made a jig o transfer holes from standard to the head. Turned down first step to7/8. Left a knub on the back to grip in the chuck

image.jpg

Then back to the lathe to turn down to fit piston, I used 9/16 since I still need to ream and lap cylinder. Thought it would be smart to try the holes ans if all goes well can move on to lapping.

image.jpg

We'll drill jig worked great, but threading not so great. Broke a 2/56 tap on the first hole so scrapped it. Was steel I think and not grey iron as plans call for so ordered some 1/2 inch bar. Turning was much easier ans was able to get my parting tool down to depth comfortably of 1/4 inch. Here's pics of the fins, and some boring . Not finished to tired right now. Will try to get after shots

image.jpg

Start of boring. Drilled to 17/32 then threw in my modified harbor freight tool bar with the inserts they sell and works a charm. Just milled it felt and put shims under it to center.

image.jpg

Finished out cylinder minus drilling, tapping, the parts I'm dreading.

This on turned out right on at .6250 so I'm happy with that. Don't know what it is about these cylinders, out of all the pieces I've done I haven't launched a piece yet, but both cylinders came out of the chuck. Both got the fins , and the cast iron broke a small piece of the fin. But I will suffice for now . If it bugs me too much after I get it running hopefully I won't launch that one too.*club*.

Also did a quick lap with wood dowel, need toread more on lapping. I'm not sure if u can get super smooth both surfaces, and it not be under/over sized

image.jpg

Side shot of the cylinder. Relatively happy with this . If u look close u can see my mistake in the fins where I lost count. Still learning but feeling comfortable so far

image.jpg

And had to remake hole jig to make sure my holes line up from the standard to the head. Needs holes yet but that for tomorrow

image.jpg

Finished out the piston, took 3 tries to get a usable one.

Started by turning to dimension leaving plus .010 for lapping. Lapped cylinder and piston using valve grinding paste. Was so tight it took a while just for the compound to be small enough to fit in between piston and wall. Happy to say it bounces when pulling a vacuumwoohoo1 . Inside of piston was bored with a 1/2 inch end mill and boring bar to .040 wall thickness.

image.jpg

Started turning the con rod. Started with a 3/8 tool steel or stainless, not for sure , was given to me. Step turned down to 5/32 . Yeh that much wasted:hDe: but is what I had.

Plans call for a 3 piece setup for con rod. I'm trying to go for a more authentic style, so il see if this one works or not. Will probably have to take some extra clearance away under crankshaft. Fingers crossed. Here's what I got so far. Next Is break out the milling attachment.

Just a side note . Everything on this engine has been done on the lathe only with a taig milling attachment. Hand drilled the flywheels and you can tell, . I wish I would of Found a way on the lathe for more precise edges

image.jpg

All the way to this.

Turned the radius free hand by starting step cut basic shape then carefully start at center and become a human cnc, turning both dials to shape the rod. Finished off with a file and emery.

image.jpg

Has a great day tapping. Boy it feels good to say that*beer*.

Tapped the head, crank bushing , the standard, and the new valve rod. All without a single issue. Nervous the whole time I'll admit. Also drilled head using drill jig. Cool little jig. Used on head , cylinder, and standard. Will come in handy if I build another engine. U can see where I punched it and missed the spot, but this was before I made the jig. Might be able to file since it is thicker than the plans call for

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back