Your feelings on Copyrights

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shred said:
I'd get with Dirk and see if maybe he wants to sell them for you.

The home engine machining community is too small to be jacking with people.

Two things i don't do. I don't charge for plans. I don't jack people.

My plan is to come up with a small V8 that is a good size for small milling equipment and offer the plans for for free. If others want to sell their plans, that's their decision. I have bought many of them. It's just not my preference. I just want to make sure that when i do, I'm not stepping on anybody's toes.

RonGinger said:
So if you draw a part you hold copyright to that DRAWING, but not to that part. I can draw the same part, with the same 'factual information' and that drawing is my copyright.

That may be true but we can all agree that just because it is lawful, it still would not be the right thing to do.

Not to worry. I will come up with a solution that will work for everybody.

stevehuckss396 said:
Two things i don't do. I don't charge for plans. I don't jack people.

My plan is to come up with a small V8 that is a good size for small milling equipment and offer the plans for for free. If others want to sell their plans, that's their decision. I have bought many of them. It's just not my preference. I just want to make sure that when i do, I'm not stepping on anybody's toes.

So change the throw and piston size a bit if that is bothering you. Besides your making a V-8, not coping his every line on his V-4 drawing. How does Ford feel about Chevy having a V-8 or Chevy feel about Chrysler having a V-8. As long as your not copying every line from his drawing. What's the big deal?

Bernd

INCOMING :hDe:

If it really is only fourty percent like the original. Or even 50% like it. The people who PATENT stuff often take others ideas and change only 5 or 10% of it and then they try to PATENT that.

Copyright should not be abused, publish your OWN work. I assume you have put in many hours of labor over this mechanical diagram and not over a Zerox machine?

;) Let others have this conversation over your V8 drawing,
Kermit

Hi,

No discussion on copyright can ever reach a satisfactory conclusion as there are some countries that do not respect the international agreements based on the Berne Convention.

Some countries (e.g. in the Far East and some Eastern European countries) have signed up and recognise international copyright, but in practice do not enforce it with any enthusiasm.

Other countries (e.g. the USA) do not follow the International agreement and write their own rules (the American concept of 'Fair Use' is not accepted outside the USA).

Of course you could argue that the fact that most countries agree on the idea of copyright (if not the actual detail) is really quite amazing - after all, the UN has been in existance for over 60 years and the member countries still haven't agreed that it would be a good idea to stop killing each other.

Ian.

Back