Yet another noob

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menthol

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
thought I'd better introduce myself before I start asking the million and one questions that are bouncing around in my skull.

I'm Mark, from sunny Cumbria (a small place between Scotland and the North of England) I work as an IT technician for a car/ tractor dealer group. Prior to that I ran a parts department for their Land Rover dealership.

My machining skills are limited to what I picked up at college 20 years ago and what I've taught myself over the last few years making tooling for my other hobbies of playing with old Land Rovers and tractors.

I've got an Axminster BV20 lathe, which isn't a bad machine if you ignore the chinese black cheese screws that hold it together. And I've just sold my soul to the devil and bought a WMD30 milling machine, which is waiting for me to finish my "shop" and build a strong enough bench for it. I'll be stripping down the mill before I use it so I'll post some piccies if you want.

As I say I'm probably going to be asking lots of questions when I start making chips properly, first serious engine is probably going to be a Westbury designed Theseus.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Welcome to the club. Feel free to ask away!

What is a wmd30 mill? For some reason I haven't heard of that one.

Eric

Welcome Mark,

Your not that much of a noob if you already have a lathe and are making parts. Plus having the mill makes you a sort of "a some what noob". ;D

Anyway I think you'll enjoy it here and you will get many different answers to your questions. All good answers, you'll just need to pick the one that you think will work for you.

Pics are always welcome.

Regards,
Bernd

Ok I'm a noob here ;) In fact I've been lurking for quite a while, just looking at some of the amazing stuff the people here are building :bow:

The mill is a weiss wmd30 , http://www.weiss.com.cn/products/wmd30v.php

Warco sell it as the wmd18, I bought mine off Amadeal as an AMA30, but the badge on it says wmd30.... Originally I was going to get an X1 until I sat and thought what I really wanted to use it for. Then an X3 was being saved up for until Arc put their prices up by 15% after the Lemington show. Then Amadeal sold out of the smaller AMA20 the day before I phoned them to order one. So the piggy bank got smashed and I did a deal on this one. Only problem is its a bit bigger and heavier for the bench I had planned. Such is life ;D

Welcome to the forum Mark, I look forward to see the pics of your setup.

Tim ( from not-so-sunny Northern Ireland )

Welcome Mark

You can absorb all the great information along with me. I'm new to this adventure too.

Andy

Mark,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Back