Workshop essentials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
It may not get that cold here in the UK compared to some places but zero degrees in a unheated workshop (Garage) is still pretty cold so I've just got a Trapper to go with my Pac Boots!

IMGP1370.jpg

Should be toasty now. ;D

Vic.

Are those steel toes? :D

I'm not looking forward to the cold but we're expecting snow by morning here.
The cheap florescent lights in my basement hobby shop won't light up when it
gets too cold.

They don't work when it's too hot either.
I need to buy some new lighting for the basement.

Rick

Can you replace the fuzzy front flap with flip-down safety glasses?
Stan

Nice gear! Problem I always had with unheated shops when I lived up north was keeping the hands warm. Gloves are a no-no and all that cold iron sure freezes the fingers in a hurry.

Chuck

Emigrate to OZ ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Can't say I envy the weather you are having. We have a zero degree celcius day it usually goes in the record books. Oh I love a sunburnt country. What Bob said.

Brock

It's pretty mild here at the moment but some folks are starting to say it's going to be colder than usual this winter. Quite happy with the temperature at the moment and the new car has heated seats, which is really nice when it's a bit nippy in the morning ;D

Vic.

That hat looks like Ghadaffi's on one of the first days in the liberation ... where is his ambrella ?

When I bought the Trapper another guy buying one said he didn't care what he looked like as long as it kept him warm this winter, I agreed and said "I bet I look like Deputy Dawg in this" and a sales assistant overhearing this laughed and said "yes you do!" :big:

Vic.

We had one of the colder winters in years in Buenos Aires, the top low was like 10c for this season.

On the other hand, we`r having the hottest spring ever, 33c right now...
2 more months to the summer...
Time to get an air conditioner for the shop.. or bed room, i`m not sure if it is my decision or if my wife`s.

Norberto

Time to get an air conditioner for the shop.. or bed room, i`m not sure if it is my decision or if my wife`s.

:big:....Oh your funny Norberto....I give you three guesses ...the first two don't count.... ;D

It`s NOT funny!
I`m the man of the house, i always have the last word on any matter...

Yes dear.... :p

The air conditioner goes to the bedroom...but i can keep the fan we where using there...

Norberto

nfk said:
It`s NOT funny!
I`m the man of the house, i always have the last word on any matter...

Yes dear.... :p

The air conditioner goes to the bedroom...but i can keep the fan we where using there...

Norberto

Hey you got it on the first guess Norberto ...very good! ;D

Yes......"yes dear" is a key part of my vocabulary too ....... ::)

If I can't go into my shop wearing a t-shirt, and that includes the middle of winter, I don't go in there.

The secret weapon - a small oil filled radiator with the thermostat set to about 60degs F (15 deg C). It is turned on around this time and isn't turned off again until about the end of April. It stops the machines acting like anti radiators, sucking the heat from your body and surroundings because once up to the ambient temperature, they stay there, and once you have the machines running for half an hour, it gets nice and snug in there. Not one sign of rust anywhere, which is an added bonus.
I also have good insulation, the whole room is sealed with a sheet of plasterboard with 1" thick polystyrene on the back of it, just like how a cool box works, but in the opposite direction. The best bit of money I have ever spent in my shop.

John

My lab where I torture machine tools and turn useful metal into chips, is a 11'x15' building. The building came from an old refinery and was built for industrial use, I am probably the only home machinist with explosion proof electrical system in my shop. It has a heavy metal outer skin, 8" of foam insulation and then a heavy metal inner skin.

In Kansas we see some extreme temp changes, 110F in the summer and -15F in the winter so heat/air was a major concern to protect the machinery and allow me to comfortably use the shop. I put in a combo AC-heater window unit like they use in motel rooms. It only takes a few minutes to get the shop nice and warm or cool as needed.

As a kid my Grandpa worked on cars as a hobby, and his two car garage/workshop was heated by an old wood stove. I learned two things from that....

1. It is hard to do anything when your fingers are half frozen.

2. I learned the "dance of the wood stove", where you stand there slowly turning around to get heat to both sides of your body.

I hear what you guys are saying but the workshop "evolved" slowly from garage/utility/storage into what it is now. Sadly too full now to retro fit insulation easily. It would also reduce available space somewhat. Maybe next time ... ;D

Vic.

substandard said:
As a kid my Grandpa worked on cars as a hobby, and his two car garage/workshop was heated by an old wood stove. I learned two things from that....

1. It is hard to do anything when your fingers are half frozen.

2. I learned the "dance of the wood stove", where you stand there slowly turning around to get heat to both sides of your body.

Hehe, I know the dance well. Grew up in central Kansas working in Dads garage with an old postal stove. My current 16' x24' shop has a 90k btu unit heater. I'll leave the dancing to the kids. ;D

Cheers

Jeff

Latest posts

Back