Works of Art

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAM in LA

Reaction score
I have seen many beautiful engines on this forum and some have even said that they are works of art.

I submit the following work of art that I made.

TwinWobbler032610025.jpg

What, the bowl of fruit doesn't make these parts a work of art?

:big: :big:

SAM

"So, does this qualify as Art?"

Works for me, Sam.
Gail in NM

Sam, you are 'artfully' opening up a can of worms! :big:

Building anything from standard plans could be considered art. Is the product of painting by numbers not art? Making changes to standard plans based on personal taste or preference can be considered art, or simply an artistic approach. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This makes a lot of perfectly 'good' art nothing more than a pile of crap to some.

To answer you question honestly; Sorry, but NO.

IMHO Your photo is not art. However, you did 'artistically' arranged the pieces of you build into an ordered pile. And that makes for easy viewing. That was very thoughtful of you. The bowl of fruit confuses me, but it did remind me it time for lunch!

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Naah, as we used to say at college mixers, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

mklotz said:
Naah, as we used to say at college mixers, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

And thousands of ugly barmaids across the country would agree! :big:

-MB

Or as we used to say, if we are going to be too concerned about the quality of the women that we are pursuing, we can forget about much quantity.

Jack

What a clueless lot you are . . . of COURSE this is art. It's one of a well-known series of photo-seriagraphs of fruit and metal which juxtaposes the linear industrial hardness, rigidity, and coldness of machined metal aginst the natural, organic, and random textures and arrangement of the paper towel, wood grain, and fruit which creates an allegory of the struggle of nature against industry. Seriagraph #12 in the series, the "Gearwheel and Grapes" image, is a masterpiece. I think it's been sold to the Getty.

But them again it's LA . . . where almost anything passes for art these days. ;D

Why am I reminded of 'Clockwork Orange'? Now there was art!

GWRdriver said:
What a clueless lot you are . . . of COURSE this is art. :idea: It's one of a well-known series of photo-seriagraphs of fruit and metal which juxtaposes the linear industrial hardness, rigidity, and coldness of machined metal aginst the natural, organic, and random textures and arrangement of the paper towel, wood grain, and fruit which creates an allegory of the struggle of nature against industry. Seriagraph #12 in the series, the "Gearwheel and Grapes" image, is a masterpiece. I think it's been sold to the Getty.

But them again it's LA . . . where almost anything passes for art these days. ;D

Your description nailed it exactly.

The bowl of fruit is something that new artists try to paint.

SAM

Swarf Rat said:
A new genre? steel life.....

or is that fruits and nuts??? ;)

Swarf Rat,

That is so funny
:big: th_wav woohoo1 Rof}

SAM

Of course this is Art.

It's called a "still life".

At least till the engine runs.
Then it will be called "kinetic art".

Or, if it's a steamer and mounted with a boiler and plumbing
then it might be called a "kinetic installation".

earl...

If lights in an empty room turning on and off with a five second timer can be called art, than there ain't no reason engine parts with a bowl of fruit can't!
Oh, wait. It's not! It's only art if you're an artist who spent a long time getting yourself in the proper mood, agonizing over the exact placement of each item, getting the lighting just right, etc. If you aren't an artist and it took you all of four minutes to throw it together, it can't possibly be art! ;D

lights.jpg

Jared said:
If lights in an empty room turning on and off with a five second timer can be called art, than there ain't no reason engine parts with a bowl of fruit can't!
Oh, wait. It's not! It's only art if you're an artist who spent a long time getting yourself in the proper mood, agonizing over the exact placement of each item, getting the lighting just right, etc. If you aren't an artist and it took you all of four minutes to throw it together, it can't possibly be art! ;D

I agonized over the proper placement of each and every item. In fact, I considered cutting off an ear. NOT!!

Just trying to add a bit of humor to make people laugh or grin or.....

Too bad you're not a Canadian ---You could apply to the Canadian Arts Council and get a million dollar grant. About twenty five years ago when half of Canada was starving to death, somebody got a million bucks for painting a big red circle in the middle of a white bedsheet!!!

Latest posts

Back