Wire Strippers.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swifty said:
I suppose that the US can import in bigger amounts and therefor have cheaper prices.

Paul.

IMHO it's more a case of less price gouging by both their retailers and wholesalers.

e.g. An Oz national tool supplier, set of ER 16 collets with 3MT arbor, $280.

Same set from CTC tools in Hong Kong delivered to my door, $57.

I am pretty confident the above major national machinery company can buy at a better price than I can.

You will note how many of our major retailers are complaining about the great unwashed buying from the internet. It's not hard to figure out why.

Best Regards
Bob

These are the strippers I refered to earlier.

stripi.jpg

Cheap but effective - this is what I carry in my professional toolkit in spite of my collection of much fancier devices.

Ken

Maryak said:
IMHO it's more a case of less price gouging by both their retailers and wholesalers.

e.g. An Oz national tool supplier, set of ER 16 collets with 3MT arbor, $280.

Same set from CTC tools in Hong Kong delivered to my door, $57.

I am pretty confident the above major national machinery company can buy at a better price than I can.

You will note how many of our major retailers are complaining about the great unwashed buying from the internet. It's not hard to figure out why.

Best Regards
Bob

No doubt the same supplier we have in NZ. Their catalogue is good for window shopping then its a case of find the best price elsewhere. At one point I was looking for a rotary table and the best price I could get was from the UK with 60 quid shipping to NZ. Crazy when it was made in Taiwan, then I found the Vertex site.......

Pete

Hello Pete,

Were you able to buy directly from the Vertex website without too much trouble? I have been trying to find a Vertex BS-0 dividing head with the Myford spindle nose here in North America without much luck. Everything sold here is 1-1/2"-8 TPI in that model. I know I can purchase from the UK, but shipping is almost as much as the dividing head. Would like to compare what the total cost of each option would be. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Mike

PS Just checked the Vertex site and there is a (5) unit minimum/ per order for the D/H I am looking for. I thought that I had looked here before and ruled it out as an option.

Mike

I found the site was pretty hopless but found the "Inquiry" page (their spelling) and asked if I could buy direct. Nothing happend for a few weeks then I got an email from an agent and I was away. They gave me a price and I ordered my rotary table, but they didn't have stock so it arrived direct from Taiwan in about 5 days. They also sent me a large catalogue, which is far easier to read than the website.

Pete

Tin Falcon said:
Well anther thread de-railed.
Tin

Hello Tin Falcon,

If I did something wrong, I apologize. I was just responding to a post in this thread with a relevant question on the previous post. Is that inappropriate? Do you always have to stay with the original topic? I am new to this. This is the only place I have felt comfortable to participate. I guess that I really don't understand the protocol of this forum thing.

Again, so sorry if I did something wrong.

Kind regards,
Mike

Hello Pete,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond with that very detailed reply. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,
You didn't do anything wrong - it's easy to see how this thread went sideways.

However if someone opened the the thread "wire strippers" and found a discussion on where to buy a Vertex RT - they would be understandably confused.

That kind of divergence should indicate a need to start a new thread.

I suspect Tin was merely giving you a hint - as an administrator he could have cut and pasted them to a new thread.

Regards,
Ken

Latest posts

Back