Will carbide cut HSS?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking for a 11/16" reamer with a 1/2" shank with no luck. The operation has to be done on my bench top mill, and the largest collet I can use is 1/2". I was wondering if I could turn down a 5/8" shank with a carbide insert lathe tool? Might there be another way to go about this? Just thought I would ask before I try something that is destined to fail. Thanks, John.

The shank on a reamer can quite easily be cut with a carbide. Only the business end of the reamer is hardened. I have cut down a few to fit my old 1/2" capacity chuck.

Thank you Brian. I didn't want to buy the reamer if I wasn't able to turn down the shank. Got to love this forum, John.

Thank you Brian. I didn't want to buy the reamer if I wasn't able to turn down the shank. Got to love this forum, John.

As long as the reamer comes with center hole sin each end you should be OK. Most do so you should be OK. Watch out though if you are buying used as they can often end up cut short or other wise "adjusted" for a task at hand. It is very common to see reamers "adjusted" in the machine repair business.

Latest posts

Back