Why the advertisements?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobby

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi,

It seems like a lot of advertisments have crept into this forum, we never had this before, why is this forum getting cluttered up like all the other ones ?

If you logon you will not see the adds.

Dave

Mini-Rant Coming ...

Yes, advertising pays the bills.

"Girls-Girls-Girls, Bedwetting, etc." are maybe the only ones who want to run adds here.

BUT (and a big But) perhaps ads by vendors of interest to the people who have technical hobbies and are likely to visit here would be of more value. I might find some new sources for my various projects this way.

With all due respect, just a thought

Rant over

--ShopShoe

perhaps ads by vendors of interest to the people who have technical hobbies and are likely to visit here would be of more value. I might find some new sources for my various projects this way.

The type of ads you get served may be due to your cookie settings on your browser. If set to a 'moderate' type setting, the types of websites you visit should allow the ad server to deliver more relevant ads to you. I know that I see a lot of ads for dirt bike stuff, web hosting and (lately) machining related products, which reflects the type of stuff I mostly look at on the web.

It's possible that the ad sever does not have any browsing info on you and just delivers generic (and mostly lower quality and cheaper) mass audience ads.

There's an argument for privacy without cookies, but harmless cookies can enhance your web experience.

If you logon you will not see the adds.

Dave

That might account for why I lately have to log on every time :wall: I visit the site even though I have the remember me box ticked. Someone is trying to get me to read irrelevant adverts:rant:.

Jo.

That might account for why I lately have to log on every time :wall: I visit the site even though I have the remember me box ticked. Someone is trying to get me to read irrelevant adverts:rant:.

Jo.

I was having this problem until I cleared all my cookies from the computer. Now with the new batch of cookies the log on problem has disappeared.

Wow I am now being offered pre paid funeral arrangements. Who ever decides upon these adverts has a weired sense of humor.:mad:

Jo

Yup - cookies (or lack of) are the culprit. I cleared mine and had the advertisements also until I logged in and checkmarked the box for "remember me". Not a problem since then.

Back