Why is it........

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalee

Reaction score
Hi,

I just drove 50 miles one way to try and find 1/2" brass round stock to make the pistons for a Paddleduck. All because it didn't feel right to waste that much brass in turning down 3/4" stock. Of course, there was none to be found in my usual haunts. Though I did score a nice piece of 1"x1 1/2"x8" brass flat.

The lessons driven into me over the years about waste and "near net" stock sizes are now instinctual.

In the end, I simply used the 3/4" to get the job done. But it didn't feel right:wall:

Dale

I hear you, I hate wasting material as well, only I have a 4hr round trip to the nearest metal supplier, order most of mine online and wait for delivery:mad:

Dale,
Those two engines I designed and made were made from junk about the place, if you are going to be running on just air, plenty of lube and use whatever crap you can get hold of to make bits out of, steel, ali or brass, all you need to think about is if it is strong enough to do the job.

The only thing is copper should be used for pipework as it is very easy to form or bend if you make the bent up pipes, but if going with the straight, copper, brass or steel. You could even drill through a bolt to make short lengths.

For copper piping, search out brake line makers or suppliers, I got metres of soft 1/8" copper pipe for the same cost of half a dozen straight lengths from the model shop.

John

Hi,

I did think about using some steel for the pistons, but this is the most complicated engine I've attempted. So I figure I need all the edge I can get! I was going to make the crossheads out of steel, but now I got this nice piece of bronze flat, (I think it's bronze), I might use that instead. Still, the contrast of steel might look prettier.

Dalee

Hi,

I just drove 50 miles one way to try and find 1/2" brass round stock to make the pistons for a Paddleduck. All because it didn't feel right to waste that much brass in turning down 3/4" stock. Of course, there was none to be found in my usual haunts. Though I did score a nice piece of 1"x1 1/2"x8" brass flat.

The lessons driven into me over the years about waste and "near net" stock sizes are now instinctual.

In the end, I simply used the 3/4" to get the job done. But it didn't feel right:wall:

Dale

So 100 miles worth of petrol to save the difference between a piece of 1/2" brass and a piece you already had that probably doesn't owe you anything ?

Yup, that makes a lot of sense................................

Latest posts

Back