Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir Geoffrey sure made em' purdy. One day I'll build me a nice Tiggie.

Man, Tony I just like looking at that engine...its soooo Awesome!!!

Yeah, the YMF would be the ticket but I might find every excuse not to fly it 'cause I'd be skered to ball it up..

Anyway...I'll let you back to the current fun...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I was emailing the engine mfg'er and he sent me this pic. This is a guy in Denmark with a built radial on a plane I don't recognise. But still nice to look at.

19022008017.jpg

Looks like a nice CAP 21 between the wings on the right

Tony

Looks like an AN-2M. Notice the shape of the top of the vertical fin.

Great looking plane. Nifty radial engine.

Twmaster.
I have the casting for that niffty radial.

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

One day I'll man up and finish it!

Tony

Hi cobra
very nice whittle
im loving every post
and it looks like u will have another great project with the radial
hope u post as u go with that one too.
cheers pete.

I had seen this before, but I don't think I ever posted a link to it. It is John Downie's 3d CAD animated model of the Whittle V8 being assembled. Less than a minute long.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPl1cdllUMQ&feature=channel[/ame]
Gail in NM

Hi Tony
Just spent the afternoon in the shop working on the rear crank and gearbox housing it looks as though we are both at about the same stage of filling the scrap bin. this is my progress so far
good luck
Ray

P2170013.JPG

P2170013.JPG

Hey Tony,

Haven't seen any activity from you. Hope you're just very busy in the shop :) :) :)

Jeff

Ray,
Very Nice. Looks like we are at about the same point. Keep me posted!

Jeff,
I've been have some lower back problems. I went to the Doc's and now doing physical therapy. I hoping to get on my feet soon.

Tony

Hi Tony
Hope physio is going well and you can continue soon. The rear housing didn’t go quite to plan I earlier broke a 12 BA tap & scrapped a part trying to spark the remains out so decided to do all fixings in 10 BA I milled .805” dia then tapped the 5 holes 10 BA as you can see from photo the thread broke out through the side. The .805” dia & .9” pcd are to size & the difference between 10BA & 12 BA is .016” on dia or .008” a side and it was enough to break through I can only blame old age for the oversight, just found your cad drg I could have used it 2 days ago! obviously some of the tolerancing on this job is going to be critical. The plan now is to use studs for this fixing as per EW’s engine so I will super glue studs in then take a run round the .805” bore with a small woodruff cutter to clean up, this should only remove the tops of a very small portion of thread in the bore and leave the tops of the studs complete. The other jobs are to form rads on the top of the 5 screws either source a .06” corner rad cutter or get the file & emery to work, the other is to remove .3” service end from the front of the .833” dia which I used for location.
Keep you posted soon
Cheers
Ray

P3120032.JPG

P3120033.JPG

P3120032.JPG

tombstone,
It looks to good to give up on it. Hopfully I get to the shop tonight and start mine. I did a little quickie and got some blue on the surface. I have to mark things out tonight. I had to wait for my jeans to dry. Still had on the Ziut Ziut from work :big: :big: and then ate dinner. Hopfully this weekend I make a little head way. I can tell your from the UK.....BA taps.... I have a set but I doing mine in UNC 0's....1's and 2's. I did a lot of engineering for BT, so I know about those "fixings". I was what the heck are fixings? Oh, you mean hardware. I bought a set of BA's for my Stuart D10, I think they have rusted away by now. I'll have to look in the draw to see if there is a big orange spot :big:
I've got to do a little CAD time to get the coords on all of that. Maybe I'll have a beverage and play with the computer tonight!

BR
Tony

Right on Tony, you're "back" at it.

Glad you are feeling better :)

Jeff

steamer, slick95,
Thanks for your continuing support.

Tony

Tony,

Glad your back's back and you too of course. ;D

Best Regards
Bob