Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, do the bolts that come up through the oil pan into the top deck of the engine get filed flush or just squared off?
George

Hi George,
The deck gets a radius cut tangent to that edge where the bolts come out. I'm just waiting till I have the front and back mounted to make the cut. It's like the oil pan but smaller and full length thru front and rear to match the profile (1/16dp 1/16R).

Tonight's fun
Radius the nose
IMG_1056.jpg

Using this setup (fine adjustment tools in the backround)
IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

The inside
IMG_1061.jpg

The outside
Don't know if those spot faces will stay
IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

That's all folks

Tony

Thanks Dean,
The more I look at it (and I do look at it and pet it :big:) Brass bolts would add a nice contrast. I'm just not sure of their stress capability in this application. I'm pretty sure they'd be fine but.....

Tony

cobra428 said:
Thanks Dean,
The more I look at it (and I do look at it and pet it :big:) Brass bolts would add a nice contrast. I'm just not sure of their stress capability in this application. I'm pretty sure they'd be fine but.....

Tony

Sure can't blame you for giving it a fond caress.
Maybe George would know if brass cap screws would be strong enough. Are they 2-56?

Dean

Dean,
2-56 front and soon to be rear 0-80's up from the pan

Tony

Tony, Looking great.

Keep up the good work.

Ron

Now that's a set up!!! Great work on the radiusing Tony. As far as using brass, I wouldn't use it in a critical area. The tensile on brass is about 1/3 of CRS. Although I don't generally use socket head screws I think they would look good on an aircraft type engine. I think using stainless socket head screw would even be that much better.
George

Thanks George,
I forgot about the plans on the web. It would be a lot easier for you to look at them than me explaining about features in the parts. I can't use my hands to explain!!

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=6070

Those are stainless Hex heads screws I'm using except for the pan those are steel soc heads I'd like to do something about that but no room for a nut driver spot face. Still thinking on that.

Zee,Ron thanks for your continuing support

Tony

compliments Tony, you're doing a very neat and beautiful work with this project :bow:

It is looking splendid - very nice indeed Tony. Very complex too! Hats off to you.

Nick

Thanks Jeff,
I working as fast as I can to get to the Radial !!!

Tony

You need a Concept Models 1/3 Fleet for that radial...would that be a BLAST...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I don't think I heard of Concept Models but you never know. Soon as I search I'll go....Oh Yeah. The radial is 1/4 scale. I was thinking of a 1/4 scale Stearman even though it had a P&W. Your right the Fleets had a J5. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I have a little time to think that one over. I need to make a DH-51 for the V8 too.
It looks much like a Gypsy Moth.

Got a little done tonight (very little)

Started the rear timing gear cover.

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

Pasted a 6mm drill rod from front to rear, went through like butter....thank god!

Time to do some CAD work to get the cords. I know it looks a bit large but I plan to cut the out line then saw the cover portion off, then cut the gear cavity's

Tony

image001.png

Tony, this is coming along beautifully. A scale DH-51 would be the bee's knees with that up front. :bow:

Mike Thanks,
I can hear that DH-51 just purrrring along now! Even though I'm a giant scale high power acro guy.....It would be nice!

Jeff I just thought of it WACO YMF! Even though it's cowled .....but sweet!

If anybody is interested I did some CAD work for the rear case coords.
PDF DXF attached

Tony

PS the below pdf and dfx no good. I realized that I didn't set the upper outside radii (.06) to the proper size to account for a washer. 0-80 washer .188d. I'll fix tonight

View attachment C__Drawings_Whittle V8_REAR CASE.pdf

View attachment REAR CASE.dxf

Latest posts

Back