Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBWHART,
The way I drop parts with my fat fingers....they just might. scratch.gif where the heck could it have gone :shrug:

solver
Ahhhh it's calling your name to, I see.

Well this is it for today. It was so nice to spend the whole day in the shop.

I bet you guys where saying Tony will be sweating bullets on this cut. Well you where wrong...I wasn't sweating bullets.......I was sweating canon shells :big:

So far all looks good. I messaged the hole side to side with progressively larger end mills,
measuring and adjusting. All measures out within .0005

Fingers crossed for tomorrow when I turn it over.

Set up...fine adjustment tool used to bring it home

IMG_0992.jpg

I touched off to get me in the ball park
IMG_0996.jpg

I kept measuring side to side to get it centered

Centered drilled to the cap
IMG_0999.jpg

Time for the bore
IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

A boring job done!
IMG_1004.jpg

Tomorrow the other side.

Thanks for the peek

Tony

Holy Crap Tony,

I slowly scrolled down through the pictures not quite sure what the machine process was to be then...WOW the large hole bored in the end. I would have been "blanking cannon balls."

Man you have to have lots of patience to run that boring bar through all that work. Great Job!!!

Jeff

Hey Thanks Jeff,
You know baby!!!....Slick 95...Traffic at your 12 o'clock...fast mover...opposite direction...altitude unknown. I keep looking for joy.

Tony

Tony;

Nice work there. Man that thing is tiny. You most really have patience, and a great eye for detail.

Matt

Hey Thanks Matt,
I just love the looks of the little baby. And it's a sweet runner. Search internet for U Tube of Whittle V8. A guy in the UK shows it running

SWEEEET!

Tony

Tony, nice job on the boring but if I could make one suggestion the next time you need to set up the block in the vise for some operation. Instead of clamping on the small surface at the top of the V use a small V block to hold against the crankcase faces. It will be much more secure and it will distribute the pressure onto a larger surface. It's not a criticism by any means but with the trials and tribulations you've had with the build it would be a shame to have the block move the least little bit when you're cutting on it.
George

Good going, Tony.
I admit to being a little nervous for you. It's an exciting build, and you've done great stuff here.

Dean

George,
Your wisdom well exceeds my talent. You are so right. Can I call you with a pic of my ignoramus set up before I cut. :big:

I never thought of that. For some reason I think of V blocks only in the horizontal. Don't know why but thank for the tip. No insult or anything ever. To learn from a master is my humbling experience. Thank you sir.

Dean, same goes for you...don't get nervous.....if I goof well $2 worth of Al and work will solve that

To both of you guys
Thanks for the help. I knew this engine would kick my Ass one way or another. The funny thing is I knew it and I bought it to learn and learning I am.

The both of you know how (Bob..Maryack ,Gailin NM is there too). Now, I want to know too. Take me under your wing (s)
This site is the best if you want to learn and you guys make it so.

So here goes!

Did the other side

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Dean and George or George and Dean, (don't want to insult either of you)

You guys are the best. If I can learn an oz a day from the both of you

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I marked the cases (with a punch stamp) to keep there relationships but it got sanded away. Time to re stamp so I know how to put them back together again

Well if any thing I'm getting better with my photography :big:

Thanks guys

Tony

"Tomorrow the other side."
It's amazing how fast the nights pass on the East Coast. ;D

Gets had to wait when things are going so well.

Gail in NM

Well Gail,
I ate dinner.... then what.....TV ?? I drifted to the shop then.... next thing I know...................

Tony

Looking good!!

You're not the only one who's learning here, Tony. There's a lot in this thread for all of us.
It's a pleasure watching your work.

Dean

I'm following with great interest Tony, you're doing a very nice work :bow:

VERY NICE :bow:

I look forward to your next set-up. Keep at it Tony!

Jeff

Deanofid said:
You're not the only one who's learning here, Tony. There's a lot in this thread for all of us.
It's a pleasure watching your work.

Dean

So true Dean. Keep up the good work Tony.

Ron

OK.... tonight's adventure
Crankcase Nose

IMG_1044.jpg

4 jaw got some exercise too

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

Didn't want to push the bearing in just yet

IMG_1052.jpg

Tomorrow I'll fillet and blend

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Traced the case outline
Tomorrow the saw and rotary table

IMG_1050.jpg

Yes, it's true....I got all swarfted up tonight :big:

Thanks for looking in
Tony

Well, this wasn't near as nerve wracking for me as the big boring job!
; )

As always, Tony, good watching your progress.

Dean

Thanks Dean,
That's it for the main case. Just a little radius groove down the length on the top.
It's all gravy now.....yeah right.

Tony

Latest posts

Back