Which rotary table should I buy?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
So after I started to build the “Upshur Antique Miniature Gasoline Engine” I was convinced that I needed a Rotary Table with indexing capabilities. I’ve been toying with the idea for some time but this project has almost made it a must. I want to cut my own gears.
Now the problem is, which one do I get? My milling machine is a “Mini °Grizzly G8689. So a 6” one is the biggest I could use and a 4” one seems so limited. I’ve been looking at Grizzly’s 6” model H7527 that comes with dividing plates and tailstock and is on sale for $230. They don’t even list a tailstock for a 4” table.
Little Machine Shop wants $360 for their 6” setup. And $400 for a 4” package. Do any of you have any experience with either of these units? The Griz is sure tempting.
Mel
:?:

I bought a Phase II RT and have been very happy with it. It was a great value for the money. It is the 10" hor/ver model. When I got it I had to make some t-nuts for it because standard sized t-nuts wouldn't work in the slots (go figure) :roll: . I also took it apart and gave it a "tune up" before using it, basically making sure there wasn't burrs or other foreign objects that could otherwise do harm to the gears. I didn't get any indexing plates or tailstock with it, but will most likely add those to the inventory in the future.

This is my $.02 worth, and with the usual dislaimers.

Get the largest you can afford and get on your machines. They are hard enough to clamp parts to without having to worry about enough room.

I don't have a phase II but have heard good reports of them.

Just gear cutting can be done easier than with a RT (check out some of what the Taig guys are doing over at www.cartertools.com), but if you want a RT, bigger seems to be better, within the limits of your gear.

Buy a Phase II table you will be glad you did. :roll:

Welcome, Kevin.

Been looking at RTs myself. Do the little RTs have a degree, minute and second scale on them?

My chucks won't grasp 1/8" and under and it presents a problem.

Kenny

Hi Kenny,
I have the Vertex BS0 dividing head and the Vertex 6" RT. Both are very good quality and smooth in operation.
The 6" RT does have the deg/min/sec scales on them.
You can buy the extras for it and turn it into a dividing head. The bits are the same as the BS0 so I have ended up with two sets.
No matter which one you get, take the time to make a centre spigot for it and then you can just drop the chuck on with its backplate and know that it is automatically centred.

John

Mel,

How do you like the RT so far?

I have been looking at the Grizzly model H7527 as it comes with the tail stock and dividing plates. There is no chuck with it so I want to get a chuck at the same time but would welcome opinions if a 3 or 4 jaw is the one most usefull.

Kenny

Kenny, the rotary table is great, the problem I have is the lack of space between the top of the table and the spindle on the milling machine (not much). You ask about which chuck to buy, I bought both a 3 and 4 jaw chucks as they both have their specific uses (3 jaw round and 4 jaw rectangular) in the short time I’ve had them, I’ve used both. Would not be with out either.
Not knowing what the size of mill you have, I’d look very closely at dimensions such as distance between, drill or mill end holder and the top of what ever chuck you plan to buy. Is there room for a drill bit or milling cutter? Nothing more frustrating than having to move your table after going to trouble locating the center or drill spot just change a drill bit or milling cutter.
:) Mel

Mel,

My mill is a Test.1U horizontal/vertical universal made in Italy around WW2. It doesn't have a quill so Z axis is with the knee. A new 10" handle would look real nice on it. Space between the tool and bed is my concern too. I got lots of tooling with it but I am short on workholding. A couple of small chucks sounds like the way to go and is with-in my wallet thickness. Should I be looking at 3" or 4" chucks? I have larger chucks for the lathe so that part is covered.

Here is what the mill looks like.
The first picture is before I cleaned and lubed it.

100_2309-1.jpg

Second is in horizontal.

100_2454-1.jpg

I just want to say thanks to you guys for helping me, it means a lot.

Kenny

Latest posts

Back