Where should I buy a model engine CDI ignition.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Nolan

Reaction score
Where should I buy a model engine CDI ignition?

So, I'm making an engine, I want to know where to buy a CDI ignition system, with the hall sensor, and battery pack. Looking for a very small one. I'm based in Ireland which is an EU member state, so anywhere trading out of the EU would be ideal but I would consider ordering from the States too.

On a slightly related note: My plan is to use the engine to actually charge said batteries like in a car engine, does anyone have any experience in this because I could really use some help I suck when it comes to electronics.

What type of engine are you considering building?
Single cylinder or multi cylinder?
Slow speed (hit 'n' miss type) or high speed like an aircraft type engine?

If single cylinder, slow revving then consider UK eBay 223711260322 (from Taiwan) or 172354680911 (from China).
The second one has automatic ignition advance which is not ideal for hit 'n' miss type engines, although has been used by other members of this board apparently without problems.
From the UK there is MiniMag, but a bit pricey when you add the import charges into Ireland.

I would try initially just using a normal battery pack and when your engine is running satisfactorily, then have a look at adding a charging system.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thanks Dave, Appreciate the info. It's basically a prototype engine, I eventually plan on putting it on an ultralight aircraft. But that's a bit down the line. I want to get a functional engine first.

Can you explain what is meant by ignition advance, that means there is a delay between the ignition being triggered and the spark plug firing I take it? How then would one account for Higher or lower rpms, as if the delay was constant that would lead to missfiring or ineffiencies?

Last edited:
Basically, when an engine is running slowly, the ignition is retarded and as the speed of the engine increases the ignition advances automatically. So, when at idle or low revs, the ignition will fire at about 5 - 10 degrees BTDC. As the engine increases speed ignition may advance to about 25 degrees BTDC. Obviously, different engine designs will have different ignition timing.
If you think of traditional car engines, the centrifugal weights in the distributor would spin out as the engine speeds up. Nowadays, the advance is done electronically.
Fully retarded ignition helps with easy starting of the engine and ignition advance improves the smooth running and performance of the engine as speed increases.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Basically, when an engine is running slowly, the ignition is retarded and as the speed of the engine increases the ignition advances automatically. So, when at idle or low revs, the ignition will fire at about 5 - 10 degrees BTDC. As the engine increases speed ignition may advance to about 25 degrees BTDC. Obviously, different engine designs will have different ignition timing.
If you think of traditional car engines, the centrifugal weights in the distributor would spin out as the engine speeds up. Nowadays, the advance is done electronically.
Fully retarded ignition helps with easy starting of the engine and ignition advance improves the smooth running and performance of the engine as speed increases.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I understand, is it possible to get ignition systems with no advance or retardation. I want and engine that fires 'effectively instantaneously' when I tell it to. I suppose one could rotate the hall sensor via some sort of mechanism to counter the delay but I'd prefer if I could just buy it without that caveat to begin with.

Latest posts

Back