Which lathe do members think is preferable

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drawstop

Reaction score
Until I had to sell my workshop some ten years ago I had a Myford Super7B.
Superb. I am now able to start up again and would welcome comments as to whether I should buy a second-hand Super 7 or a Warco? I am 80 years old and intend building a
5" gauge Sweet Pea.
I would be grateful for any help as it seems the machine tool situation has changed greatly in the years since I sold up.
Many thanks,
Richard.

If those were the only choices, I think the decision would come down to the condition of the Myford.
A very nice Super 7B would probably be a better lathe, but a brand new WM-series Warco is still a nice lathe and would have zero wear. Having spent a year now with a second-hand 1975 Boxford AUD I would suggest one of those, I really have enjoyed using mine so far.
Since you are familiar with the Myford I would see if you can get to a show and have a look at the Warco machines (I am assuming you are in the UK like me). This will make your decision easier. Check out a second hand Boxford while you are there ;)

I second the choice for a Myford subject to wear........
I have a Chester 9*20 while it is a good lathe all round, for resale value the Myford is probably a better choice.......

Thanks to you both for your advice. When the new workshop is finished I shall then look round for an excellent late Super 7B
Yes, I am in UK - West Sussex.
Thanks again.
Regards
Richard.

Out of interest Anthony Mount, the designer and builder of so many wonderful stationary engines :bow:, traded in his Myford S7B that he had had for many a long year for a Warco lathe.

If you are not in a rush and are around in July may I suggest that you come to the Guildford Model Engineering Show where Anthony should be in the display tent displaying his engines and ask him why he changed over. Warco will also be there.

Jo

Back