Which 12vdc power supply

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
I just ordered a geared variable speed motor to slow down my lathe carriage feed for finishing. I'm mounting it at the tailstock end with pulleys and v-belt to drive the feed screw.
I have this description:
"Rated voltage of this gear motor is 13.5 VDC and maximum speed is 50 RPM. Rated output load is 60 watts and output torque at 50 RPM is 11.5 N-m (8.5 ft-lb). Mounting is based on M6 screw mounting. The 12V DC PWM controller features a 4 ft(1.2m) long connection to its potentiometer. The potentiometer has a on/off switch built-in with a knob. An overload protection is set at 6 amps of current so the controller will shut down when such a current occurs. "

What kind of power supply should I be looking for?

Best
Stan

At minimum, you'll want one that can do 5 amps DC continuously (60watts/12V=5amps). Better to get one that has more current capability however to keep the SOA (Safe Operating Area) of the supply optimized. I would get one that can do at least 50% more than 5A continuously, so maybe around 7.5A -keeps the operating temps down, longer component life. 10A DC supplies are common.

-trout

What he said.....The cheaper power supplies have a poor duty cycle usually less than 50%...

As they say...Go large for a few dollars more..

If your brave get the PSU off of a scrap PC and use the 12V supply. You may need to stick a car light bulb on the 5V supply to get it to work. Loads of info on the internet.

Best Regards

picclock

picclock said:
If your brave get the PSU off of a scrap PC and use the 12V supply. You may need to stick a car light bulb on the 5V supply to get it to work. Loads of info on the internet.

Best Regards

picclock

Yes, lots of good info out there. Should be finishing up my new "bench supply" soon! ;D

Sshire said:
I just ordered a geared variable speed motor to slow down my lathe carriage feed for finishing. I'm mounting it at the tailstock end with pulleys and v-belt to drive the feed screw.
I have this description:
"Rated voltage of this gear motor is 13.5 VDC and maximum speed is 50 RPM. Rated output load is 60 watts and output torque at 50 RPM is 11.5 N-m (8.5 ft-lb). Mounting is based on M6 screw mounting. The 12V DC PWM controller features a 4 ft(1.2m) long connection to its potentiometer. The potentiometer has a on/off switch built-in with a knob. An overload protection is set at 6 amps of current so the controller will shut down when such a current occurs. "

What kind of power supply should I be looking for?

Best
Stan
Kinda looks to me like the above implies that the motor comes with the power supply?? Do you have a link or a picture of what you ordered?

I contacted the vendor and they said a 12v 10 amp supply would be best.
I ordered one on EBay. Should be here tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help.
Stan

Latest posts

Back