Where?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have beaten size vs linear size vs displacement around far enough. We all know that the original poster was talking about 10 times linear dimensions at this point. Lets try to help him rather than discuss word meanings and making personal attacks.
Gail in NM

True to form that is in evidence all over this forum, you are resorting to insult, yet again.

Maturely played sir :rolleyes:

well I'm truly sorry if it did offend you but it wasnt the point. You were pointing me wrong with what I understood oe understand in the writting.
I even posted on this that you were right looking at it your way and I was right looking at it my way. All this was to show you that size can cause ambiguity in any conversation and it did. We are multicultural people on this cite and this stuff can happen.. You're just like me not aquitter but get frustrated with time when people are only trying to make a point. This time
I'm making allusion to the sarcastick eyes in your quote.
I know and everyone on this site can argue or make a point on technical stuff.But sorry no one can tell someone he was wrong miss interpreting something. Diffrent country different habbit and different expression but i can assure you that in my region if you go to a hobby shop speak french you will be ask in french "what size motor quel size de moteur" the answer would be displacement and if you want to doubble this you would end out having twice the amount of cc and not twice the physical size.I drive motor cycle and it's a common practice to say that a 500cc is 1/2 the size of a 1000cc.
I sure hope that this time I was abble to take French thinking translating it to English typing with out insulting someone:wall:

End of discussion.
Any more postings not directly relating to the original poster's questions will be deleted and if necessary the thread will be closed. I will then ask the original poster to start a new thread if he desires.
Gail in NM

End of discussion.
Any more postings not directly relating to the original poster's questions will be deleted and if necessary the thread will be closed. I will then ask the original poster to start a new thread if he desires.
Gail in NM

GailInNM; this was not intentional by the time I was done typing your previous message was already on:hDe:

Back to the original question, maybe you could fabricate the crankcase from several sections of smaller, easier to obtain material and bolt it together?

I remember the 400cc two-stroke dirt bikes of the 1970s. They were godawful monsters that vibrated like hell and had a power band like an on/off switch. An 800cc stroker single is going to be something to see. How do you plan to start it?

500cc singles are not that uncommon as for the port(s) you can always add a bridge (or two) in the center of the port to eliminate the ring from snaging.

I'm all for seeing this build go forward, let it shake and smoke....please! Then make a static stand with a 30" prop and hang it on the wall.

Will you stick with the glow plug ignition?

Getting back to the original post, I think that you should price up the materials involved for this project. Might be surprised by the cost involved.

Paul.

500cc singles are not that uncommon as for the port(s) you can always add a bridge (or two) in the center of the port to eliminate the ring from snaging.

I'm all for seeing this build go forward, let it shake and smoke....please! Then make a static stand with a 30" prop and hang it on the wall.

Will you stick with the glow plug ignition?

I agree with you but all the cylinders I seen with this "bridge" for the ring
were aluminium with nicasil coating
will other material do?

try aluminumyard.com. they are in wichita kansas and have tons of aluminum. if i remember right it is $2.50 a pound. the best way is to call and they will give you price and availability.steve

I agree with you but all the cylinders I seen with this "bridge" for the ring
were aluminium with nicasil coating
will other material do?
I memory serves me right they were steel sleeve in aluminum casting. I wouldn't think the ports would need to be scale to get it running. You are right most of the new stuff is high tech coated aluminum.
Here are couple pics of some mid 80's cylinders.

You can see how big the port is in the first image with no bridge at all in the intake and exhaust port.

2009_05_31_bikepics-1683514-full.jpg

img-1365885001.jpg

I was thinking of making it spark because of the price of glow fuel, about $40 per gallon where I live. If I do go through with this build I would likely start it a couple times then put it on the wall with a prop for display, not sure how I plan to start It though. I would like to keep it looking exactly like the normal size engine so bolting various crankcase parts together is not an answer for me right now

That is true. So are you planing a tapered fit bore? Either way it will make a great display piece. Cox must have made millions on the little motor... definitely an icon of the model industry.

That is true. So are you planing a tapered fit bore? Either way it will make a great display piece. Cox must have made millions on the little motor... definitely an icon of the model industry.

Not sure on the tapered fit bore, some of the .049's had tapered bores and others did not. I have not gotten that far into the design of the engine
I contacted aluminumyard for a quote and they can get me a piece of 12''x8''x8.250'' 6061-t6 for $245

Latest posts

Back