Where do you buy your SHCS from?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpeters910

Reaction score
I had been buying all of my Socket Screws (FHCS, SHCS, BHCS, set screws, etc) from MSC (HoloKrome) and was happy with the screws, but couldn't keep up with cost. Switched to McMaster, but haven't been real happy with quality of late. Lot of the alloy ones are rusting, snapped a few heads off, etc.

After a web search I have been thinking about maybe buying from Bolt Depot or Mutual Screw (really like both of their assortments in the metal cases). Concerned as these days there are a ton of off brand supplies out there, and I am usually disappointed by them (despite the cheap price).

Wondering if anybody ever bought SHCS from them, and if you were happy with them? Or where else do you buy from?

I buy all of my SHCS from Paul B. Zimmerman in Ephrata, PA. They cost about $6 per box of 100 and I've never been disappointed (a 7 year customer). If you go to a big box hardware store the same screws cost $0.30 - $0.35 or more EACH. Same country of origin - usually Taiwan.

Your location tells me its worth the trip. At least it would be for me. I use 100's of these every year.

Cheers,
Phil

I pass right by a Fastenal store every day on my way to and from work. Since we have an account there I get the discount too. Quality is about average,

I have always used McMaster Carr but it has been awhile since I have ordered any SHSC..... Not good to hear that the quality may have declined...

Robert

I like Bolt Depot and Wholesale Tool, but depending on the need I may buy from any of a number of places. I have found it pays to shop around - even a vendor that has good prices generally may be higher priced on a specific item. Occasionally I buy from the local hardware or big box store if I'm in a hurry, but I know I'll pay a lot more that way.

I've put together a list of "hobbyist friendly" fastener vendors, and I generally consult it when I plan to a purchase in quantity:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links#fasten

Hi kquiggle,

I've been on your site a number of times. Just want to say thanks for the time and effort you've spent to compile all the information you have there. :)

Todd

I steer away from McMaster as they never tell the brand name. MSC at least givens a brand on most items, and I use that to decide from who to purchase.

Hi kquiggle,

I've been on your site a number of times. Just want to say thanks for the time and effort you've spent to compile all the information you have there. :)

Todd

Todd - thanks for the compliment. I originally started just collecting a lot of links that I found personally useful, but then I thought I might as well share the information. I'm glad that you have found it useful as well (and quite a few others, judging from the number of hits I am getting). I'm still adding links to the page from time to time, so I hope to keep improving the site.

If you live near any city of any size look for an industrial supplier. You will likely have to buy full box quantities but you will likely also save big buck over the prices you will get from a big box hardware store.

You will still run into quality problems but but at least you will have somebody to complain to. Also most of these supplier work with multiple manufactures and thus can get the quality you need. I've seen the same sorts of issues with quality you mentioned from local suppliers but at least you can get the problem corrected. One thing that we have run to it the past is improperly formed sockets for Allen type cap screws.

As for MSC, HoloChrome is excellent quality and the price reflects that. The trick with MSC, Travers and the like is to get on their mailing lists and maintain a list of wanted items. When a sale pops up place your order. At times the discounts can be significant. It is the next best thing to having an account with a discount multiplier.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Back