Where can I get complate plans for Perkins hit n miss engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KB3BYT

Reaction score
I find castings available for a few hundred dollars but no source for the plans for all the rest of the parts required to complete the engine.

As Cobweb said, the plans and instructions come with the castings.

Can anyone recommend any particular casting kit where the plans are available to SEE BEFORE I actually purchase the casting kit? I am making my casting kit purchase decision based on what I find I need to make so how can I get plans before I purchase anything?

The only place you are likely to be able to look over a set of plans is at one of teh model shows where the supplier may have a trade stand.

You could try e-mailing one or two who have engines that you are interested in and get lucky and have a sample page sent back but they are unlikely to send a whole set of drawings.

Look out for build threads of engines that you like and ask the builder what the drawings were like, some are better than others. They should also be able to give an idea of what sort of equipment will be needed to make the model. Reading through a good build thread will also give you an idea of what parts need to be made.

Where in the world are you, what machines do you have and have you built any engines before?

I am a retired machinist ...... so I have no doubt that it is possible to fabricate all of the intricate parts not included in the castings. BUT
I don't want to buy just ANY Hit N miss engine. I wanted to build a GEARLESS hit N miss engine and I thought PERKINS made that engine. I just found another gearless by PHILIP DUCLOSE. I wanted to get detail plans before buying castings to figure out if it was a gearless engine. I should have started this engine search with the word GEARLESS instead of PERKINS.

I just bought his book TWO SHOP MASTERS.

The 1/4 scale Perkins uses gear, if you look at the second photo in the build thread you posted in yesterday you will see the gears.

The Olds gearless by Debolt comes up very occasionally on e-bay etc but you will be paying a premium for a sort after casting set.

The pacific Vapour engine does not use gears, there is a link to Dave Ottos build on the suppliers site

Gotta love the internet. YOUTUBE has lots of GEARLESS engines videos.
I found SPRINGFIELD 6HP gearless video.
The last time I searched this information was more than 10 years ago and there just was not a whole lot of people sharing like we have now. This springfield has everything all in one picture I can wrap my brain around.
Image is a moving gif at:
http://www.learnmorsecode.com/hitnmiss/index.html

springfieldgearless.jpg

The Pacific Vapour has that same cross over cam so should suit your needs.

THANK YOU Jasonb. All sorts of Pacific Vapor projects on the web with documentation saying it came from the book:
Beautiful Engines: Treasures of the Internal Combustion Century Hardcover – April 1, 2001

by Stan Grayson (Author)

.noUnderline a:hover { text-decoration: none; }

so I'll buy that book next time I have $60 to invest in this project.

My over all goal was to make a working engine, not as much to make a period replica.
I didn't care if it was a castings kit or machined pipe and flatstock.
Many years ago I did this research and found a gearless PERKINS picture and no others that
had any documentation I could reproduce with enough detail to learn HOW a 4 stroke engine
could be built gearless.
It turns out that this crossover cam was the big secret I needed to reveal. I can build that into any castings kit available now.

Back