Where can I find the bubble gadget like in bubble levels?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Reaction score
Yup, the funny little fluid filled gadget with a bubble for making leveling devices.

Any idea exactly what they are called and where I can find them? I've got an idea for a gadget.

Searches I've made come up with tons of not what I am looking for...

Look for a spirit vial, Mike. Stanley sells replacements, I think.

Dean

I'm making this too hard...

I just realized I can go to Horrible Fright and buy a plastic level with three vials inside for $1.99. Or I can wait until I find a beat up old level at the flea market...

Dean, thanks for the Stanley link.... If my idea gets any traction that would be a good source.

Just a thought. I have taken apart many things, and levels are no exception.

Watch out if you break a vile. The fluid inside has a very unique and extremely bad smell. You may want to take the level apart outside. Just in case it breaks.

Kel

Mike,
Just a word of warning, though I'm sure you already know this.
Those vials are not very accurate. Go to HD or Lowe's and check them out. Try the level in one direction on a display shelf, then flip it end for end. You'll see what I mean. You'll probably show level in one direction but not the other.

When I set up my 125 gallon aquarium (6 feet long) I made damned sure I got it level using a "quality" 4 foot carpenter's level before putting water in it. When I started filling it one end was 1/4 inch higher than the other.

Kevin: You should have put more water in the other end. ;D

TW
yes learn to check a level for accuracy as well as squares.
What exactly are you looking for single axis vials or the round ones that are two axis.
Tin

Kevin: water seeks level would have been better of making the glass then ading an inch or so of water and adjusting to the marks. Easy to be Monday morning quarterback inst it.
Tin

Just a word of warning, though I'm sure you already know this.
Those vials are not very accurate. Go to HD or Lowe's and check them out. Try the level in one direction on a display shelf, then flip it end for end. You'll see what I mean. You'll probably show level in one direction but not the other.

I'm inclined to believe that it's not the vial that is inaccurate but rather the alignment of the vial to the plane formed by the level frame. As long as the interior of the vial is a smooth cylinder, it will work perfectly - the bubble will rise to the highest point. But if that highest point is canted relative to the base the level will have an error equal to that cant angle. This is why engineer's levels have a fine screw adjustment to change the angle of the vial relative to the level base.

I would be more concerned with the sensitivity of vials removed from a carpenter's level. They're going to have a good bit of curvature so that they're not overly sensitive which would be a very annoying feature for someone using it for carpentry.

It's not that hard to make your own sensitive level vial. Take a length of common glass laboratory tubing, partially fill with alcohol and seal the end. Lock both ends of the tube down with a bit of shim stock under the center of the vial to raise it slightly. Glass bends if you don't try to overdo it.

Twmaster said:
Yup, the funny little fluid filled gadget with a bubble for making leveling devices.

Any idea exactly what they are called and where I can find them? I've got an idea for a gadget.

There are several ideas for bent-tube bubble-level sources posted in replies already, but there are also "bullseye" levels sold at any of the industrial tooling houses such as MSC/Enco or Travers Tool. These are 2-axis levels (usually good to .010"/foot) that, the last time I bought them, ran in the $75/dozen range. ???

A while ago I ran across an article on making your own bubbles by lapping an interior barrel-shape into a bit of glass tubing. Seemed like a bunch more work than bending a bit slightly, but perhaps more fitting for some cases.

Thanks guys. I found a beat up old level at a flea market. It will do for trials on my idea.

Latest posts

Back