Where can I buy tinplate in Western Austraia?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy tinplate in Western Australia?
A thumb through my yellow pages phone book gave me lots of places to get copper, brass, SS , ali but not tinplate.

I've got a few 'oldtime' projects I would like to do but need tinplate for them.

Surely there still is somewhere I can buy it from.

Just a thought,

Try a high school near you and ask them where they buy it for their metalwork classes.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards
Bob

At school we had a "contact" at a local sheet metal shop who worked in tin plate - they would give us anything in their scrap bin for just the bother of collection. Perhaps a local can manufacturer may do the same.

Here in the states, it was sold by the same sheet goods dealers as the brass and copper sheets. But be prepared, for a shock as the price has steadily risen over the years. Do check with the local sheetmetal shop as they may have new old stock, or know of a supplier.
;D
glen

When I was living in Bunbury W.A., I got some from a sign writers.

As I recall the term is for Tin plated steel. A soft steel like 1018 can be "tinned" with a blow torch and plumbers solder for an authentic looking if not exactly pure Tin. (The price will be MUCH better than using ingot of pure Tin in the solder pot- oh yeah- don't eat off it - theres Lead in there!) ;D

Kermit

The sides of an unpainted 20 litre drum will yield a piece of tinplate about 900mm x 380mm, if that is big enough, probably .41mm thick.

Talk to NCI - National Can Industries - they may have rejects.

bob ward said:
The sides of an unplated 20 litre drum will yield a piece of tinplate about 900mm x 380mm, if that is big enough, probably .41mm thick.

Talk to NCI - National Can Industries - they may have rejects.

Thats heaps and the size I'm looking for.

I've heard that the large olive oil tins are good too.
Need to make friends with the local Italian restaurant.

roof tops on old cars or new cars . car bodys

Latest posts

Back