What's your poison?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I'm going through the fun of getting MSDS for all the stuff at my work and last night I was just looking in my workshop.

I don't have too many nasties in there just the usual stuff, paint, turps, meths (dentured alchohol), Kerosine, a few different fluxes, citic acid, oils, glues.

Ok I do have a few different nasties in my workshop. My workshop is always kept locked but my young son does like to come in and watch me work when I deam it is safe enough for him to be in there. So there is a possibilty he could spill, touch, drink some of the nasties even though it is pretty remove.

This brings me to my next point.
Does everyone know what the correct treatment is for exposure to any of the chemicals stored in your workshop?

Tony

Me and my dad have alot of chemicals in our workshop. Just read what it says on the container

POISON if swallowed induce vomiting, if in eyes flush with soap and water, if on skin wash off with soap and water. If you have anyother problems call XXX-XXX-XXXX

This is just what I can recall from memory, there are alot of other things to do but its basically the same jibber-jabber on MOST containers. Others say DO NOT induce vomiting and other things.

I have been working with paint stripper lately, if it get on me I will know it. It burns like crazy, so I wash it off with water.

Other than this I know nothing about the correct treatment.

How old is your son?

Ranger, this is a good chance for you to learn some interesting stuff. Take it upon yourself to lookup the MSDS on all the chemicals in your shop. MSDS stands for "Material Safety Data Sheet". There is a lot of interesting information in one, and it's worth your while to do the research and take a gander.

Speaking of poisons, I ran afoul of one in the form of epoxy resin. Takes just a tiny little bit to cause an alergic reaction. In this case, I was wearing gloves and all the rest, but could have used an apron. I got a small spot on some skin through a t-shirt. It wasn't a big deal, but the stuff gets progressively worse over time.

Cheers,

BW

Here is what your talking about

And down here is my head. :big:

That kind of stuff is way over my head. I use chemicals and other bad thing but I'm always sure to protect myself for the most part.

Hello rangerssteamtoys,
I changed your previous answer to something better.
Here is what your talking about-And here is my head.

Safety, yours and other peoples is not something too take lightly. I have worked in an industry that has a large number of chemicals. They can all kill you if you are careless and foolish. The chemicals in our home shops are not any different. I have MEK, Acetone, Mineral Spirits, different Acids, oils, degreasers, electrocleaners, Super Glue, Epoxies Polyurethane, Chlorine etc, etc in my shop. That doesn't even take into account the machines.
The MSDS sheets take a little getting use to, but nothing that you can't figure out in a few minutes.
The time you spend on them might make a big difference in your or someone else's life.
I hope that I did not come over too heavy, but I have seen and heard of too many people getting injured or killed by something that could have been prevented, by a little common sense and knowledge.
Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Fred

Hi Ranger,

I would like to say, I am glad you are posting in the safety area. To me, it tells me by your responce, you are thinking about safety while working and have read the warning labels. Good for you. If I was your shop teacher I would give you an A+.

For other people that may not know, Ranger is our youngest guy here on the site that I know of. I don't threaten safety, but I do promote safety at all times. For a young guy even thinking about being safe while working means he is on the right track by posting here. It is up to us to help him learn more about safety in a kind manner. He has informed us that MSDS has gone a little over his head. I am open and ask for peer review for help and understanding.

Thanks

Kenny

Read the MSDS for Cryogenic Adhesives sometime.
(That's super glue if your not familiar with it's it's name.")

On the reactivity list it say that contact with water may result in a
radical uncontrollable polymerization resulting if high temperatures.

Under the health section it says if you get it in your eyes to not force
them open. The product will be absorbed in a few days and there will
be no permanent damage to the eye.

Is there water in an eye?
Radical uncontrollable polymerization resulting is high temperatures?

The manufacturing industries have found ways to cover their ass
even in the MSDS field.

You need to be smarter than what your working with.

A hammer won't hurt you unless give it a full swing at your thumb.

Look up cutting oil.
It's the only petroleum product that earns a #1 on the placard for a
Health Hazard.

Know what your working with!
Understand it's risks and how to counter act them.

Rick

Rick, you're right, while they'll give you hints about what you're up against MSDS's are trending toward becoming more of a exercise in satisfying liability issues than anything else. Read the MSDS on water, you'd be scared to drink the stuff ;)

Thats funny LOL I was just thinking to tell people to read the paper on water:eek:)

Wes

Kenny, you picked a benign one, check out

http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/water.htm

Inhalation
Acute over exposure: Inhalation can result in asphyxiation and is often fatal.

Skin Contact
Acute overexposure: Prolonged but constant contact with liquid may cause a mild dermatitis.
Chronic overexposure: Mild to severe dermatitis.

Ingestion
Acute overexposure: Excessive ingestion of liquid form can cause gastric distress and mild diarrhea.

Incompatibility: Strong acids and bases can cause rapid heating. Reaction with sodium metal can result in explosion.

Hazardous decomposition products: Hydrogen - Explosive gas Oxygen - Supports rapid combustion

and so on

forewarned is forearmed. Play safe kids ;D

Mcgyver said:
Kenny, you picked a benign one, check out

http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/water.htm

Ingestion
Acute overexposure: Excessive ingestion of liquid form can cause gastric distress and mild diarrhea.

Not to drag my original post off topic and as funny as it is true, the Ingestion for Acute overexposure is actually erring on an understatement.
There is actually such a thing as 'water poisoning' which is caused after drinking so much water that the electrolytes in the body gets diluted so much it can actually lead to death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

This happened last year in a contest 'Wee for a Wii'
For those who are interested in this here is a link about it.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0125073wii1.html

But back on topic good on you Ranger for taking time to read this section and atleast thinking about it.
When you look at MSDS the most important parts are the control (What you have to do to protect yourself) and the First Aid measures, what you have to do if you are exposed to it.
The rest is useful but those two parts are the most important parts.

Yep, I have heard of horses drinking them self's to death. Another thing I use in my shop is Mouse Milk.

A word of caution, they will jump around alot if you squeeze your fingers too tight when milking them. ( Just kidding about that part)

http://www.mousemilk.com/msds.html

Kenny

A-9 works great for tapping Aluminum, but the container says it may cause DE-FATTING OF THE FLESH.
It is not a diet supplement.

Hi Sorveltaja

Another one you might like to try.

NO DON'T !!!!.

I once had an afternoon cutting and filing Beryllium Copper strip, had some cuts in the process.

Ended up with two festering fingers that took weeks to clear up.

Not Funny

Dave.

sorveltaja said:
Last sunday I got sick suddenly, and thought I had flu, with fever. And also strange feeling in my lungs.

Luckily it was over till next day.

I remembered that it started after I machined ptfe. As a smoker, after machining done, I have a habit to smoke cigarettes. And it happened that I had ptfe dust in my hands...

So I searched on the net information about ptfe.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is what one site says about it:

POLYTETRA FLUORO-ETHYLENE (PTFE,Teflon) [Uses: non-stick coating of utensils, bearings]
Inhalation

Dangerous when heated above 400C
Decomposes to yield highly toxic fumes of fluorides
Inhalation of PTFE dust through a lighted cigarette can be fatal

http://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/eppr/health/hlspr012/arthazards-list.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Ptfe is new material to me, and another thing learned hard way. Hopefully others don't have to learn it that way.

You have been lucky - others who smoked whilst machining PTFE and got chips on their cigarettes have died. AFAIK it vaporises and coats the lining of the lung.

sorveltaja said:
Last sunday I got sick suddenly, and thought I had flu, with fever. And also strange feeling in my lungs.

Luckily it was over till next day.

I remembered that it started after I machined ptfe. As a smoker, after machining done, I have a habit to smoke cigarettes. And it happened that I had ptfe dust in my hands...

So I searched on the net information about ptfe.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is what one site says about it:

POLYTETRA FLUORO-ETHYLENE (PTFE,Teflon) [Uses: non-stick coating of utensils, bearings]
Inhalation

Dangerous when heated above 400C
Decomposes to yield highly toxic fumes of fluorides
Inhalation of PTFE dust through a lighted cigarette can be fatal

http://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/eppr/health/hlspr012/arthazards-list.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Ptfe is new material to me, and another thing learned hard way. Hopefully others don't have to learn it that way.

I am happy that you are okay!! You might want to go get checked out, and make sure everything is fine. Seems I just had that same advice myself. ;)

This incident does bring up an important safety issue in our shops, and that is food and beverages. How many have a cup of coffee next to the grinder, or a glass of ?? sitting while doing anything that creates airborne particles? Ever eat in the shop while working? All of these are bad habits! And yes, I am guilty as well. The shop environment is not a place for food and beverages! This applies for smokes, tobacco, pipes or anything else that you would let enter your body purposely.

As the others have said repeatedly, think about the materials you are working with. Aluminum is not something that you want in your body anymore than a chemical. Cutting oils, tapping fluids, layout dyes, paints, polishes, cleaners, degreasers, and everything else one can think of are great for the intended tasks in which they are designed for, but none of them are intended for inhalation or ingestion.

Just because it is at our home does not mean that the dangers vaporize! A hazardous substance will kill you at home just as happily as it will at work! Be responsible for your safety and the safety of your family! Make sure you keep them safe just as you would yourself!! Get an MSDS sheet on the things you have on hand; there's no excuse not to. The stuff is all over the Internet and the life you safe might be your own.

The only problem that I see with getting killed is that you stay dead for so damned long! Play it safe!

Holy Cow!
I don't smoke but it never even occurred to me that Teflon could be dangerous.
I've never machined teflon but do stamp out gaskets in it.
If I do ever need to machine it I will treat it with a bit more respect.

Latest posts

Back