Anodising

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id be interested in seeing some pics of the final result please??

Hi Goldigger, sorry I have been off this forum for months and only just seen your post. Yes http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk is where I got my dyes from, but not used the kit, but I don't think you would have a problem with it, looks like a good way to start.

Nice looking lights, with the finish you have I would skip the caustic soda step, but give em a scrub in hot water and detergent just to make sure they have no grease on them

Dave

Hi Dave,
I went ahead and bought the kit from gatorosplating..I chose to go straight in and anodise one of my little lights thats not being used rather than trying a piece of scrap.
Process i used was:
1. Wire wool to remove maching marks
2. Autosol polish
3. Wash in washing liquid and rinse in de-ionised water
4. Etch in the ano stripper and etch for 25-30 seconds and rinse in de-ionised water
5. Desmut in nitric acid for a few minutes rinse in de-ionised water
6. into the ano bath for 60mins (i used a PC PSU so i couldn't control the amount of amps) when finished rinse in de-ionised water
7. Into the dye that was preheated to 55-60 degrees C for 45 mins
8. Into the anoseal at 96 degrees C for 30 mins.. rinse in de-ionised water
P1010817.jpg

P1010819.jpg

I've got another power supply on the way that i can adjust the Volts and Amps.

Nice job... Couple of questions....

In the dye for 45mins, wow, I normally only leave it in there for 10 to 15mins.... and you rinsed it after it had been in the dye, I tried this once and it washed out ALL the dye. After the dye I chuck it in boiling water to seal in the dye, did you not do this..?

But it does look good, these are the best dyes I have ever used. I have tried the red from them, that's works well as does the gold.

Dave

DaveRC said:
.... these are the best dyes I have ever used. I have tried the red from them, that's works well as does the gold.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Have you tried the Caswell dyes?
I have only ever used Rit dyes, with ok results.
I would like to use some decent dyes but not sure whether to go with Caswell or the Gateros stuff.
The black that Goldigger has used looks excellent, would be interested to find out how colourfast it is.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi Simon,

I can't remember what the name of the other dyes I have used is, but I have stuck with the Gateros dyes as they work very well. Also if you contact them they will supply in smaller quantities as I only ever make up 1 litre at a time and you can use them over and over again, the last lot of black did me for months before I had to replace it, and it only works out at a couple of pounds a litre.

This is a part I did using the red, I left it for quite a while to get a nice deep red.

DSCN1658.jpg

Dave

DaveRC said:
Nice job... Couple of questions....

In the dye for 45mins, wow, I normally only leave it in there for 10 to 15mins.... and you rinsed it after it had been in the dye, I tried this once and it washed out ALL the dye. After the dye I chuck it in boiling water to seal in the dye, did you not do this..?

But it does look good, these are the best dyes I have ever used. I have tried the red from them, that's works well as does the gold.

Dave

My mistake i missed out the last step which was 30mins in anoseal heated to 96degrees then a rinse in de-ionised water..
I've updated my post

The data sheet said 30-45mins in the dye if it was 60 degrees, mine got near that so i just left it in for the max time.

Latest posts

Back